Sender:
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:45:32 +0000
From:
Kenton O'Hara <[log in to unmask]>
[Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP]

---
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: WORKSHOP ON DESIGNING FOR CROWDS @ PERVASIVE 2010

http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~stuartr/pages/crowds_workshop.html

Helsinki, Finland, May 17th, 2010

http://www.pervasive2010.org
---

ABOUT THE WORKSHOP

As part of the growing ubiquity and pervasive reach of technology, there
has
been an expanding interest in how interaction with technology in public and
semi-public places plays out. Crowds and crowded places are a major
feature of
these settings. In this workshop we will be interested in:

   o Developing our understanding of crowds

   o Exploring how existing technologies (e.g., mobile phones, interactive
   screens, digital photos and video) are woven into crowd practices

   o Discussing the ways in which emerging pervasive technologies can be
   designed to fit or perturb crowd phenomena.

The workshop format will be that of a *data session* where *participants
bring
their own data of technology-in-action at crowd events* (e.g., video
recordings
of crowd activity, other ethnographic collections) which can then be
explored
and analysed collectively by the group.

Through exploring diverse crowd settings and exhibits of
technology-in-action,
we aim to compare and contrast different crowd formations. These
observations
will be used to ground discussions on how to develop design frameworks or
recommendations in order to contribute to HCI. We will also aim to produce
documented outcomes from the workshop such as the potential for a journal
special issue, or perhaps collectively authored journal or conference
papers
based upon the analysis during the workshop.

SUBMISSION

Participants should submit a *short position paper* (1-2 pages)
outlining their
interests with respect to understanding crowd behaviours, the use of
current
technologies in shaping crowd practices and new applications that are
designed
to fit or perturb crowd phenomena.

We would also encourage participants to contribute to the data session by
*bringing along and presenting their own data at the workshop*. We would
request they submit relevant sections of their data in some form, such as
*documents providing brief outlines of ongoing analysis, short video
clips, and
so on*. We would also share these submissions between participants
before the
workshop.

Submissions (or any further questions!) may be emailed to
(Stuart Reeves).

IMPORTANT DATES

March 1, 2010: Submission of data contribution outline / brief position
paper
May 1, 2010: Participant notification
May 17, 2010: Workshop in Helsinki, Finland
---