From:
Andrea Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrea Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 16:01:29 -0800
I haven't tested documentation yet, but I've conducted interviews for
web site usability evaluations.  As with so many design tasks, the best
place to start is to think about what you really want to accomplish.  If
you know exactly what you want to learn from the interviews, then you
can make sure your interview plan reflects that.

My interviews usually consist of a few parts:
- Find out background info about the subject that tells me how to
interpret or classify their results (web experience, interest in topic)

- Ask about their goals, especially what they want out of the site or
experience.  I also try to get a sense of their baseline expectations,
by asking about how they usually do this type of thing and what tasks
they use it for. (I would ask this about the search engine, not
documentation as a whole.  That tells you what tasks to write the doc
for.)

- After having them do some tasks while I watch, I go back over the
tasks and ask them what they thought, what confused them, what made
sense, and something they didn't like and something they liked.

I try not to ask them if they liked the system in general, since there
is so much social pressure to be nice that these answers are
meaningless.

By the way, You describe this as an interview, not a utest.  Why? I
would test the documentation by asking people to use it (find out how to
do X, show me where the answer was), just like a site or application.

Hope this helps!
Andrea

p.s. Say hi to Scott :-)

Andrea Gallagher                      921 Front Street
Red Sky Interactive                   San Francisco, CA 94111-1426
t: 415-392-2500                        f: 415-392-2501
http://www.redsky.com

Download the Red Sky Interactive Millennium Clock today!
http://www.millennium.redsky.com