From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 10:06:51 -0500
>Lately I've been seeing a lot of web-zines publishe online articles so
>that rather than scroll, or use anchor links, the article appears on
>several web pages with a menu of the articles sub titles as a
>navigational element.  I'm wondering how usable, or unusable, you all
>feel this type of structure is.  Personally, I find it kind of annoying
>and would prefer the OPTION to scroll.  This link is to an example:
>http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/98/44/index4a.html?tw=jobs

If the article is any good, I am likely to want to print it to read in more
detail or give to a friend or boss. Some, like Dev Head
<http://www.zdnet.com/devhead/> provide a print feature BUT IT ONLY DOES 1
PAGE OF THE ARTICLE instead of combining the pages into a single file to
print all at once.

Since they do not even consider their own articles worthy of being printed,
then why should I spend too much time reading them?

I do not mind the page-by-page navigation that much when I am reading it
online, but I really gotta have a single printable version of the whole
thing.

The forgotten task on the web: printing.

Keith

Keith Instone   [log in to unmask]
Usable Web      http://usableweb.com/
PO Box 7411     BowlingGreen OH 43402