Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2010 19:11:52 +0100
Sender:
From:
Gilbert Cockton <[log in to unmask]>
SIG: Can we all stand under our umbrella? The Arts and Design Research in HCI, Monday, April 12 16:30 18:00 PM

The Arts (i.e., all liberal, cultural, literary, visual and performing arts disciplines) are becoming more prominent at CHI. This SIG will take stock of what they can contribute, and how and why, and what the CHI community needs to do to more fully embrace The Arts to advance the leading edge of design research.

Participants in this SIG are invited to contribute to a focused discussion on future directions, opportunities and challenges for Arts oriented researchers within the CHI community.  A primary goal of this SIG is to foster the development of a community of researchers and practitioners who are draw extensively on approaches from the performing, literary/cultural, visual and/or liberal (aka Humanities) arts in Interaction Design Research.

We have prepared an initial list of potential discussion points, but we invite anyone who wants to attend to contribute other points to this initial list, from the SIG Overview in the Extended Abstracts for CHI 2010:

What do the Arts Specifically Offer to HCI?
The Arts must have something distinct to offer HCI, otherwise Science is all we need. What is the nature of that distinct contribution, and how do we recognize it?

Incubate or Integrate?
Does arts-influenced HCI research need its own incubator conference, or is CHI now strong and flexible enough to assemble the expertise needed for consistent competent reviewing? If an incubator is needed, what form should this take, and who should organize it?

CHI Contribution Types: Theory and Methodology
Are CHI's contribution types appropriate for the disciplinary matrices of the arts and humanities, in particular, the theory and methodology contribution types? What implicit values are at play here, and how well do they serve the different facets of HCI?

A New CHI Contribution Form: The Essay?
What are the formal and intellectual differences between a scientific report (i.e., intro, methods, results, discussion, etc.) and a scholarly essay? In what ways is the scholarly essay on a cultural form or its production process distinct from an "Opinion Paper"? By what criteria should the community evaluate a scholarly critical essay?

HCI: Three Waves or Thirty Whirlpools?
How much consensus is there about HCI's first, second and third waves that have brought us from human factors through human actors to human satisfactors? Do we have a shared understanding of the history of our discipline? Is there one single HCI umbrella at all?

Interaction Design as a Transdiscipline
Are transdisciplinary matrices possible, or can axiological systems only be policed within single disciplines? What does this mean for design research?

We look forward to meeting Design Researchers with shared interests in Atlanta. Please contact one of the organisers if you want to propose discussion points or find out more about this SIG.

Gilbert Cockton ([log in to unmask])
Shaowen Bardzell ([log in to unmask])
Mark Blythe ([log in to unmask])
Jeffrey Bardzell ([log in to unmask])