Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2011 11:48:03 -0500
Sender:
From:
Lennart Nacke <[log in to unmask]>
Sorry, for possible cross-posting.

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: CHI WORKSHOP ON GAME USER RESEARCH
CHI-GUR (Game User Research): Exploring Methodologies
http://hcigames.businessandit.uoit.ca/chigur/
Important Dates:

January 13, 2012 - Submissions Deadline
February 2, 2012 - Acceptance Notification
May 5-6, 2012 - Workshop

The workshop is scheduled as a 2-day workshop held at Austin, Texas;
co-located with ACM CHI May 5-6, 2012. The workshop is intended to be
a gathering of current game user experience practitioners and
researchers.

The goal of the workshop is to expand our knowledge of the different
methodologies currently in practice within the area of games user
research as well as the utility and drawbacks of the different
methodologies in evaluating game design issues or gaining insight
about the players’ experience. The outcome of the workshop will be a
collection of lessons from the trenches and commonly used techniques
published in a wiki-style forum publicly available. This will extend
the discussion of topics beyond the workshop, and serve as a platform
for future use.

As we engage in user experience research, we make many experimental
design decisions, lay out the conditions or issues we want to explore,
select methods that can evaluate or measure the variables we
identified and can generate useful data or insights – in the hope that
such research can lead to a better understanding of player experience
and uncover game design issues. In this workshop, we will attempt to
share knowledge on all these steps or methods by bringing together the
community and initiate the dialogue focused on these two problems of
(a) better understanding of player experience and (b) uncovering game
design issues.

Workshop Organization
***************************
The workshop will be composed of a mix of presentations, panels, and
breakout groups to discuss methodologies as they relate to the
problems identified above. The first half-day will be presentations
from participants. In the remainder of the first day and the second
day we will focus on breakout sessions followed by group presentations
deciphering what the group came up with. An expert panel to
disseminate the breakout sessions will follow this.

Submission Information
***************************
We ask interested participants to submit a short 3-4 page position
paper outlining their perspective or experience in respect to
methodologies they use to tackle the two problems identified above;
including their expertise, the methods they use and why, and
potentially a case study to make their position clear; plus a brief
biography or alternatively a 30-60 second presentation video about
themselves. Biographies and presentation videos will be displayed on
the workshop website (http://hcigames.businessandit.uoit.ca/chigur/).
All submissions should be send via email to [log in to unmask] with
the subject line: CHI2012Workshop Submission.

Submission Format
***************************
Please use the ACM CHI Extended Abstract format for your submissions:
Word Template, LaTeX New & Improved, LaTeX alternative files. See also
the CfP online: http://goo.gl/ddkIa

Registration
***************************
Similar to CHI workshops in previous years, workshop attendees are
required to register for at least one day of the full CHI conference,
in addition to paying a fee for the workshop. Participants will soon
be able to check conference rates on the CHI 2012 website. Keep in
mind that only those who have had their position papers accepted will
be able to attend this workshop. After acceptance, workshop
participants will be provided with a registration code by the workshop
organizers, which will allow them to register for this workshop. It is
our goal to disseminate the workshop results on this website as
detailed as possible.

Workshop Organizers
Magy Seif El-Nasr, Northeastern University
Heather Desurvire, Behavioristics, Inc.
Lennart Nacke, University of Ontario Institute of Technology
Anders Drachen, Aalborg University
Regina Bernhaupt, University Paul Sabatier, Toulouse III
Katherine Isbister, NYU-Poly
Licia Calvi, NHTV Breda University of Applied Sciences

Website