From:
Jeff Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 10:43:06 -0700
Anastasia Fischer wrote:
>I have a client with a web app full of long forms. Many of the
>selection boxes have been set to no default
>as the client wants the user to 'consciously' select a value.
>However it is also clear that in most of these
>cases there is an obvious default value that gets selected 80% of
>the time (80/20 rule).
>
>Any opinions/thoughts on this? I always opt in favor of efficiency,
>but in this case the client wants to go
>the other direction....

Normally, computer/Web users prefer forms to set defaults wherever
sensible defaults are available, because the typical user likes to be
able to just scan the form, change only a few things, and submit the
form.  The operative design principle is: "Design to allow users to
do a little to get a lot."

So, for example, if someone were registering to join the San
Francisco Bay Area chapter of ACM, it would make sense to default the
State drop-down menu to California.

When 99+% of users will choose one particular option, you are just
wasting their time (or annoying them) by forcing them to set an
option explicitly.  This is even more true when a form contains
*many* fields for which reasonable defaults could be set.  Want to
really annoy (and maybe even lose) customers?  Force them to read
through a form to spot and explicitly set a bunch of settings that
the system could set for them.

However, there are situations where there is no reasonable default,
or where a default would be problematic.  E.g., if someone is
registering online to join the ACM, there is no sensible default for
State.  On a Canadian government form, it would be a faux pas to
default the Language dropdown to English, even if most users choose
English.

Count the total number of non-defaulted settings.  If the form has
many, you have a problem.
I recommend trying to whittle down the number of settings that have
no default.  For each setting, assess:
a) whether there is a reasonable default and how likely it is that a
given user would choose that,
b) whether there is any business, legal, political, or social reason
why no default should be provided,
c) whether the field is "required", meaning that if the user chooses
nothing the system will either display an error message or assume
something anyway, or "non-required", meaning that a null response
just means "did not state".
d) what the impact is of requiring users to set the setting explicitly.

Required settings that you decide won't have defaults should be
placed prominently, e.g., all at the top of the form or highlighted
near the submit button, to make them hard to miss.

Details on this and related issues are covered in the Form Bloopers
chapter of my Web Bloopers book (Morgan Kaufmann, 2003).  See also:
- Faulty Defaults: http://www.uiwizards.com/wBloop22.html
- Evil Defaults: http://www.uiwizards.com/wBloop10.html

Anne Deputter wrote:
>  But we have a similar problem with mandatory check boxes. The check box
>  has two states (yes/no).  How can we make sure the user meant really
>  "No" and didn't just forget to check the box?  Should we then use a drop
>  down for Yes, No and use "None" as a default value?

Radiobuttons with no default value need an even stronger
justification than dropdown menus with no default menu.  Dropdown
menus can easily have a "no value yet" setting, and users can set the
menu back to that if they want to.  Radiobutton groups in which none
of the radiobuttons are checked are a real usability problem because
it is difficult, if not impossible, for users to return them to the
initial state.  A set of radiobuttons should represent a one-from-N
choice, not a zero-or-one-from-N choice.  Therefore, if a
non-defaulted choice is presented as radiobuttons, the no-choice
option really should be represented as an explicit choice.  But that
consumes space and complicates forms, so designers often don't do it,
causing the "can't return to nothing" problem.

Again, this is covered in Web Bloopers.

Jeff Johnson, Ph.D.
UI Wizards, Inc.
Product Usability Consulting