Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:45:19 -0300
8th International Conference on Disability, Virtual Reality and Associated
Technologies (ICDVRAT 2010) with ArtAbilitation 2010
www.icdvrat.reading.ac.uk
www.artabilitation.net

ICDVRAT with ArtAbilitation is organised as a single plenary conference.

Viña del Mar / Valparaíso, Chile, 31 August ­ 2 September 2010

CALL FOR PAPERS

- EXTENDED ABSTRACT SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 12 March 2010
- ACCEPTED PAPERS SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 1 July 2010

For further information see: www.icdvrat.reading.ac.uk

The Call for Papers can be downloaded directly
from: http://tinyurl.com/ICDVRAT-CFP

About Viña del Mar … Founded as a seaside resort for the upper class, Viña
del Mar was born from the division of the “La Viña del Mar” hacienda of
Dolores Perez. Her daughter and sole heiress, Mercedes Alvarez, married
the businessman and politician José Francisco Vergara, who created a
plan that would give birth to this coastal city. Shortly after the plan
was passed in 1874, the Municipality of Viña del Mar was created. Over
the years, the new seaside town would come to be an exclusive summer
vacationing spot for the aristocracy from the capital city and principal
coastal port of the country, who built large mansions and elegant avenues.
Currently, Viña del Mar is recognized as the Tourism Capital of
Chile, and as a “Garden City” due to its being surrounded by large swaths
of green areas. The city has 13 beaches (approximately 3.5 kilometers),
the most important of which is located in Reñaca, the city’s main beach,
which has a life of its own and includes all the installations and
infrastructure necessary to receive a large number of tourists. It has a
very unique architecture, with beautiful residential neighborhoods
complete with chalets surrounded by beautiful gardens and a number of
modern high-rises, most of which are located on the beachfront. In walking
through its streets, and as a testimony to the golden age of Viña del Mar,
one can find palaces and antique buildings that date back to the beginning
of the 20th century. The Municipality of Viña del Mar is located in
the V Region of the country, in the Valparaíso Province, approximately 120
kilometers from Santiago and only 9 kilometers from Valparaiso,
the country’s main port city, as well as the regional and national
legislative capital. Viña del Mar has a smooth summer climate and
temperate winters; rain is limited almost exclusively to the winter season
(from the end of April to August). During the winter, frosty temperatures
are practically unknown to this area, which maintains a smooth and
agreeable spring-like climate all year round. The inhabitants from the
hinterland of Chile, where Santiago and other important cities are
located, travel to Viña del Mar in all seasons in order to have fun, rest
and relax, or to escape from the heat of summer or the cold of winter.
Among the consequences of this particular climate is the facility for the
adaptation and development of multiple, and at times delicate, species of
flowers and vegetation, both native and exotic. As such, Viña del Mar
offers a beautiful spectacle due to the variety, profusion and rich color
of its trees and flowers.

ICDVRAT and ArtAbilitation conferences are affiliated with the
International Society For Virtual Rehabilitation  (www.isvr.org)

The purpose of the eighth International Conference on Disability, Virtual
Reality and Associated Technologies is to provide a forum for
international experts and researchers to present and review how advances
in the general area of Virtual Reality can be used to assist people with
disabilities. This international conference will encompass all aspects of
technology used in Virtual Reality systems. Papers are sought in which
technical innovation is backed up by evidence of original and practical
implementation, or which promise practical implementation in the very near
future. Presentations which include video material and/or experimental
systems are particularly welcome. Facilities for presenting such material
will be available at the conference (see Electronic Submission Form). The
research presented at the conference will be published in a peer reviewed
Proceedings which will be made widely available. It is hoped that the
conference will act as a focus for international collaboration.

ICDVRAT 2010 follows on from the success of the conference series:
Maidenhead, UK (1996), Skövde, Sweden (1998); Alghero, Sardinia (2000);
Veszprém, Hungary (2002); Oxford, UK (2004); Esbjerg, Denmark (2006); and
in 2008 in Maia/Porto, Portugal. Full papers presented at all previous
conferences are available from the conference archive at
www.icdvrat.reading.ac.uk. Delegates to ICDCVRAT will receive a CD
Proceedings with full papers and a Conference Proceedings Book, available
at the time of the conference.

Topics:
Papers are encouraged in all areas that span Disability, Virtual Reality
and its Associated Technologies, encompassing both practical application
and more generic research. The following topics are just a few of those
that will be relevant to the conference:

Virtual and enhanced environments | Motor rehabilitation | Clinical
assessment | Cognitive rehabilitation Communication and Language |
Ambisonics and audio environments | Haptic devices | Visual impairment
Medical systems | Input devices, sensors and actuators | Multi-user
systems for user interaction | Computer access Mobility | Communications
aids | Tools for architectural/CAD design | Product design, testing and
prototyping | Training tools for rehabilitation | Augmented reality
applications | Human Factors | Rehabilitation Robotics

The conference Programme Committee also welcomes proposals for posters
outlining the kernels of collaborative research with the specific aim of
fostering international collaboration for the development of co-operative
research proposals seeking European Community or other similar programme
support.

Full Paper Categories:
Authors are encouraged to submit papers in the following categories: Full
Studies; Pilot Studies (Late Breaking Results); System Development; Future
Development/Vision Papers

ArtAbilitation 2010

Traditional art forms are commonly used in rehabilitation to important
effect. Life quality benefits of creative and playful expression are
well documented and music-making, painting, sculpting and other
recreation/entertainment practices are subject of key investigations.

The advent of digital techniques opens up possibilities such that new
opportunities in therapeutic/learning/training across the span
from physical-to-cognitive are being investigated. Interactive genres such
as games, virtual reality and other interactive entertainment are included
in this open field which incorporate all ages, abilities and standing.
Potentials are increasingly being recognized from the public sector such
as at hospitals, schools and institutes, as well as in private practices,
however, despite outcome expectations often being exceeded there is
minimum report which may be restricted possibly due to the known problems
of insufficient valid tools of assessment. Yet these same outcome
phenomena are resulting in specialized interactive ‘smart rooms’ being
designed and built to offer new resources for clients and families,
educators and researchers, and facilitators/therapists. Such rooms also
offer new training opportunities toward exploring needs for
next-generation practitioners.

ArtAbilitation exists to enable all to share findings in order to
disseminate experiences and knowledge gain under a common ‘movement’.
Whilst articles and presentations are expected to conform to scientific
standards of report and publication (and help is offered in achieving
such standards to ensure all can contribute) an emphasis at the conference
is on bi-directional learning and sharing of results across the
spectrum of techniques, concepts and user... by this we mean scientists
listening to evidence from practitioners with open ears and vice-versa.
Thus, presentations are targeted where consideration is made such that all
can attend and understand, as opposed to use of a delimited specialized
language that relates to the few.

Outcome evidence from this evolving field forever confronts traditional
science theories, interpretations, and understandings.

The ArtAbilitation event brings together practitioners and scientists,
students and professionals, as well as societal representatives who are
interested in investigating the cutting edge of the field into
a melting pot from where new learning and networking can evolve. Toward
this aim once again ArtAbilitation will proudly support the International
Conference Series on Disability, Virtual Reality and Associated
Technologies, www.icdvrat.reading.ac.uk.

ArtAbilitation is affiliated to the International Society for Virtual
Rehabilitation.

Publication of Papers:

Submission of papers implies that authors are able to provide a full paper
(c. 8 pages), which will appear in the conference proceedings. The
conference CD Proceedings with full papers and a Conference Proceedings
Book for on site reference will be available at the conference. Papers
accepted for the conference require the registration of at
least one of the authors as a Full Delegate or Full Student Delegate to
the conference.

Submission of Papers:

Paper Submission: Authors are requested to submit electronically extended
abstracts for consideration to: [log in to unmask] with the
Subject: ICDVRAT (or ArtAbilitation) 2010 Submission

The abstract should include a cover page with:

- Stream Preference (ICDVRAT or ArtAbilitation);

- Category Preference (Full Study; Late Breaking/Pilot Results; System
Development or Future Development/Vision Paper);

- Title; All author’s names (underline surname), affiliations, and
addresses; Name of author to contact for correspondence; Email address of
contact.

It is expected that all accepted presentations will be presented at the
conference.

Extended Abstract: As a guide an extended abstract should be taken to mean
two pages of text (c. 800~1000 words), plus supporting
images/diagrams/tables. The text should be clear enough to allow referees
to judge the potential of the paper’s suitability for ICDVRAT. Please
note: as a firm rule, short abstracts will not be reviewed and will be
automatically rejected.

Review procedure: Each submission will be reviewed under the following
specific headings: originality of concept(s); clarity of presentation;
relevance to the conference; technical soundness; and importance of
results. It is particularly important to provide sufficient information
for the last two headings in the abstract to facilitate assessment. The
conference language is English. All presentations will be 20 minutes, with
an additional 5 minutes for specific questions. Accepted papers should be
presented by one of the contributing authors at the conference for which
registration as a Full Delegate or Full Student Delegate is required.

Submission: All documentation to ICDVRAT and ArtAbilitation should be
submitted electronically.

Example papers: are available on the ICDVRAT website (Archive Section). A
paper template for the final paper is also available (Author Information
Section) and will be sent to authors of accepted papers.

Important Dates:

In order to produce the conference proceedings in time for the conference
it is important that the following dates are strictly respected:

Submission of Abstracts 12 March, 2010
Notification of Acceptance 15 May, 2010
Submission of Final Paper 1 July, 2010

Final papers are required to be submitted in Word format to facilitate
electronic editing of the Proceedings.

Registration: Full registration before 1 July 2010 will include full
attendance to all sessions with coffee-breaks and lunch during the
conference, Conference CD Full Proceedings and Book of Abstracts, welcome
reception, and Conference Banquet. For delegates who register after 1 July
a late registration fee will be added.

Letters of Invite: Authors of accepted papers who require confirmation of
registration will receive a letter supporting their attendance at the
conference. The conference does not issue letters of invitation otherwise.

ICDVRAT with ArtAbilitation 2010 Committees

Conference Chair
- Jaime Sánchez, Universidad de Chile, Chile

ICDVRAT Programme Chair
- Paul Sharkey, University of Reading, UK

ArtAbilitation Programme Chair
- Tony Brooks, Aalborg Universitet Esbjerg, Denmark

International Programme Committee
To be confirmed

- Robert Astur, Yale University, USA I
- Chriss Berk, Art Therapist, New York, USA A
- Lars Ole Bonde, Aalborg Universitet, Denmark A
- Christos Bouras, University of Patras, Greece A
- Willem-Paul Brinkman, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands I
- Jurgen Broeren, Göteborg University, Sweden I
- Jane Broida, Metropolitan State College of Denver, USA I
- Tony Brooks, Aalborg Universitet Esbjerg, Denmark I
- David Brown, Nottingham Trent University, UK I
- Sue Cobb, University of Nottingham, UK I
- Ernestine Daubner, Concordia University, Canada A
- Jean Detheux, Artist, Montréal, Canada A
- Judith Deutsch, University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey, USA I
- Barry Eaglestone, University of Sheffield, UK A
- Pedro Gamito, Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologias,
Portugal I
- Rolf Gehlhaar, University of Coventry, UK A
- William Harwin, University of Reading, UK I
- Maureen Holden, Northeastern University, Boston, USA I
- Faustina Hwang, University of Reading, UK I
- Noomi Katz, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel I
- Emily Keshner, Temple University Philadelphia, USA I
- Kinshuk, Athabasca University, Canada A
- Michael Kipp, German Research Centre for Artificial Intelligence, Germany A
- Rachel Kizony, University of Haifa, Israel I
- Mel Krokos, Portsmouth University, UK A
- Tomohiro Kuroda, Kyoto University Hospital, Japan I
- Peter Kyberd, University of New Brunswick, Canada I
- Pat Langdon, University of Cambridge, UK I
- Mindy Levin, McGill University, Canada I
- Craig Lindley, Blekinge Technical Institute, Sweden A
- Pedro Lopes dos Santos, University of Porto, Portugal I
- Lone Malmborg, IT-University of Copenhagen, Denmark A
- Irene Mavrommati, Hellenic Open University, Greece A
- Rachel McCrindle, University of Reading, UK I
- Suzanne McDonough, University of Ulster, UK I
- Alma Merians, University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey, USA I
- Eduardo Miranda, University of Plymouth, UK I
- Ana Monção, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal A
- Gail Mountain, Sheffield Hallam University, UK I
- Alessio Murgia, University of Reading, UK I
- Bent Nielson, Professional Music Therapist, Denmark A
- Eva Petersson, Aalborg Universitet Esbjerg, Denmark I
- John Rae, Roehampton University, UK I
- Debbie Rand, University of Haifa, Israel I
- Albert (Skip) Rizzo, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA I
- Dave Roberts, University of Salford, UK I
- Martin Rydmark, Göteborg University, Sweden I
- Jaime Sánchez, Universidad de Chile, Chile I
- Hideyuki Sawada, Kagawa University, Japan I
- Cecília Sik Lányi, University of Veszprém, Hungary I
- Paul Sharkey, University of Reading, UK I, A
- P J Standen, University of Nottingham, UK I
- Elizabeth Stokes, Middlesex University, UK A
- Daniel Thalmann, L'Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland I
- Luca Francesco Ticini, Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research,
Tuebingen, Germany A
- Ana Torres, Universities of Aviero and Porto, Portugal A
- Charles van der Mast, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands I
- Athanasios Vasilakos, University of Peloponnese, Greece A
- Patrice L (Tamar) Weiss, University of Haifa, Israel I, A
- Uffe Wiil, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark A
- Paul Wilson, University of Hull, UK I

IICDVRAT, AArtAbilitation

Conference Organising Committee
- Jaime Sánchez, Universidad de Chile, Chile (Chair)
- Paul Sharkey, University of Reading, UK

ICDVRAT Series Steering Committee
- Tony Brooks, Aalborg Universitet Esbjerg, Denmark
- David Brown, Nottingham Trent University, UK
- Sue Cobb, University of Nottingham, UK
- Pedro Lopes dos Santos, University of Porto, Portugal
- Rachel McCrindle, University of Reading, UK
- Albert (Skip) Rizzo, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA
- Jaime Sánchez, Universidad de Chile, Chile
- Paul Sharkey, University of Reading, UK (Chair)
- Cecília Sik Lányi, University of Veszprém, Hungary
- P J Standen, University of Nottingham, UK
- Patrice L (Tamar) Weiss, University of Haifa, Israel

Conference Series Archive
- Paul Sharkey, University of Reading, UK
- Richard Sherwood, ICDVRAT Web Manager, University of Reading, UK

International Conference Series on Disability, Virtual Reality and
Associated Technologies with ArtAbilitation, www.icdvrat.rdg.ac.uk

8th ICDVRAT, Viña del Mar / Valparaíso, Chile, 31 Aug - 2 Sept 2010

Secretary, International Society for Virtual Rehabilitation, www.isvr.org