Sender:
From:
Chris Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 08:34:47 -0600
Michael

I appreciate your cynical, but true reply.  Lots of people are asking can I
dream of it and can I do it, but few ask should I do it.  Now allow me to
rant a moment.  A common falacy propogated, unqualified, by many pushing
web technologies is that there is gain to be had by migrating business
practices from their current apparitions onto an intranet.  In many cases
there are benefits, yet in far to many cases the net result is to push work
done by support staff, who will likely be laid-off, down to technical
staff.  For example, it now takes me four times longer to do my timecard
via the web than when I completed it on paper.

What is curious is to see how of the numerous applications that I have seen
developed for corporate intranets, the one's actually used.  For example,
an application that does nothing more than allow the user to enter
information about a person - name, building - is by far, the most widely
used application.  Similarly, an application that allows people to query
corporate records to find their vacation balance is used more often than an
electronic timecard which employees are manadated to use at least once a
week.  It sounds odd, but the numbers work out.  My point is that these
applications provide functions from which users actually benefit.  Cool and
flashy they are not, but practical they are...   Chris

Chris Forsythe
Statistics and Human Factors
Sandia National Labs
Albuquerque, NM 87185-0829  USA