CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 18:40:17 -0400
From:
"Jared M. Spool" <[log in to unmask]>
At 03:01 AM 6/2/2006, William Hudson (ACM) wrote:
>Apparently it is Dale Dougherty at O'Reilly that coined the term, Tim
>O'Reilly just talked it up. Also, it appears that O'Reilly has
>trademarked "Web 2.0" when applied to conferences. So anyone else
>wanting to set up a Web 2.0 Conference is going to have to call it Web
>II or something!

Yes. That's how trademarks work.

You can't call another conference CHI or (in our case) the User Interface
Conference either. ACM and UIE, respectively, own those trademarks.

As Tim pointed out, there are lots of alternative names.

"Just to be clear, neither CMP or O'Reilly is claiming the right to all use
of the term Web 2.0, as some of the posters assert. We just want to keep
other conference companies from putting on events that trade on the name
and concept that we created. And don't tell me it's not possible to have a
Web 2.0-related conference without using Web 2.0 in the name! Microsoft's
Mix 06, Google's Zeitgeist, the Ajax Experience -- these are all web
2.0-related conferences that don't use the name."

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2006/05/web_20_service_mark_controvers.html

I've often thought that the basics of intellectual property law should be
taught in schools to everyone. Understanding how trademarks, trade dress,
patents, copyrights, and trade secrets work is really important to
knowledge work. When people confuse them and misunderstand their
applications, it just makes a mess.

Jared

510 Turnpike Street, Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
978 327-5561   [log in to unmask]  http://www.uie.com
Blog: http://www.uie.com/brainsparks