CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
From:
"Gill, Kathy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 11:32:05 -0700
Research RE what? It's been standard typographic style NOT to have two
spaces after a period *forever* -- please see _The Mac is Not a
Typewriter_.

The only reason that two spaces were used after a period during the
"typewriter" age was because original typewriters had monospace fact --
the the extra space was needed for the eye to pick up on the beginning
of a new sentence. That need is negated w/proportional space type, hence
the typographic standard.

If you are referrring to web output -- if the end user has selected a
proportional spaced font (practically anything other than Courier) --
then this is not a readability issue.

Kathy

Kathy E. Gill
DCAC Web - http://www.dotparagon.com/aboutgill.html

Microsoft Exchange - The perfect name for its users' greatest desire!