From:
Challis Hodge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Challis Hodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:56:13 -0500
Marc Resnick wrote:
 >I have to agree completely with Don on this one.  Whoever learned that
 >knowing ALL of the users' needs (including feelings of pleasure or
 >status when applicable) is not part of the Human Factors design process
 >took the wrong course.  Whenever I work with companies that are trying
 >to get on the Net, I make sure that a complete user needs analysis comes
 >first.  If they tell me they already know what their users want, I walk
 >away from the job because I know that it will end up less than
 >successful.

Agree with Don on what? He talked about his cars, his laptops, renting a
race track, his watches, and his palm and then said:

Don Norman wrote:
 >Design is a multi-faceted exercise.  It is not a single dimension of
 >usability or aesthetics, or cost, or time to market, or pleasure.  It is all
 >of these, and more besides.

I don't think _anyone_ would disagree with this statement.

Don Norman also wrote:
 >So, the person who suggested that those who drive manual transmissions are
 >not good HCI designers should be shunned, ignored, and vilified.  That is a
 >person who does not understand the complexities of everyday life, the joys
 >of living, and the real reason that we have our profession -- to make life
 >more enjoyable.

"Shunned, ignored and vilified", come on! You're making more out of the
manual transmission vs. automatic transmission comment then was intended.
Someone was trying to make a point and used a bad example.

-challis