From:
Bill Dehora <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Dehora <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 23:08:13 -0000
| To make a long answer even longer, you would have a combination of
| automation and human interation.  You would need a human to develop the
| templates, write all the XML and programming, and get the internal database
| to talk to the web server.

What is needed is the facility, or indeed the willpower, to develop content
*completely* reified from platforms/devices/markups. A good thing but hard in
practice. Presentation becomes dynamic in a world of 'Author once, see
anywhere'.

Templates are a definite solution, but it will be neccessary to allow designers
and
authors to manipulate templates easily without manipulating the markup. 'Hard'
templates won't scale well. Templates should be designed not developed. This
implies a soon to be urgent need for good visual tools for content authoring and
presentation, with the processing buried in the background where it belongs. I'm
working on a product that involves templating from web session histories rather
than databases, via the DOM, and there does seem to be a demand for flexible
templates.

XML is a solution also, but XML is too bloated for devices where kilobytes are
an issue. There is some discussion on w3c's XML-dev on the need for an XML
subset currently. I think you will see the creation of a minimal XML subset in
the next few years, just as XML was a subset of SGML.

Regards,

Bill de hÓra   :   Cromwell Media   :   [log in to unmask]