CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Challis Hodge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Challis Hodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:44:11 -0600
At 08:35 AM 3/21/00 -0800, Lundell, Jay wrote:

>There is also an interesting short paper by Thomas Tullis called "Is User
>Interface Design Just Common Sense?", published in the Fifth International
>Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (1993). In the paper, programmers
>were asked to state which types of interfaces will provide the best
>usability, and then the interfaces were tested. Guess what? The UIs rated by
>programmers as easy to use were among the most difficult. Although the UIs
>tested were relatively simple, the paper makes some good points about how
>programmers' intuitive guesses can be wrong.

Programmers are not the only guilty parties here. Every individual involved
in the design and development of a UI brings their own mental model and
personal bias. Simply being aware of the business goals, the technology
being used, the architecture, or the intended marketing campaign can
influence the direction of a user interface. An iterative user-centered
design process is the best answer for my money and the only way to minimize
bias from the design and development teams. At HH, in addition to UCD
process we require every person in every department to approach their work
evaluate their efforts based on impact to user experience.

-challis

           Challis D. Hodge, CEO
H A N N A H O D G E
           u s e r   e x p e r i e n c e   a r c h i t e c t s

           312.397.9020  fax 312.397.9019
           [[log in to unmask] | www.hannahodge.com]