From:
Sameer Chavan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sameer Chavan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2006 16:16:50 +0530
Original post :
I am working on cultural issues, if any, in Enterprise Applications.
What i read and know is just about colors, images/icons, test formats.
Also, we need to localize and internationalise. But when i look at
enterprise applications i don't see that culture much affects any
design. It may affect for personal desktop applications where people
like to personalise and customize. But not for global applications
that are mostly used out of box. Your comments are welcome. I will
summarize for the group and post later.

Sameer Chavan
Hyderabad, India

Cultural issues in UI design (and User Experience in general) is a
HUGE topic, and can hardly be covered in one email. As a starting
point, see Usability Body of Knowledge page on Internationalization,
this will give you some useful links and references:
http://www.usabilitybok.org/design/p290
The book by Nuray Aykin listed there is a really good one; get hold of
it if you can.
Also, see http://www.amanda.com/resources/hfweb2000/AMA_CultDim.pdf
for ideas and issues.

Lada
 Culturability- The Merging of Culture and Usability.doc
156K View as HTML Download

  designing for international audiences.doc
170K View as HTML Download

  HCII01_PanXC_Marcus_160401.pdf
100K View as HTML Download

De Regenboog

You're probably right that current enterprise apps don't really have a
cultural differentiation aspect to them. However I do think some
cultural distinctions remain which are countered in user training.

For example, while the language may remain English, the vernacular is
different. When software made originally for US audience is
implemented in India for example, users have to make a cultural switch
of using another vernacular in English. example: Cell vs. Mobile,
Office vs. Work, written communiqués in active voice vs. passive
voice. I think all language considerations would be the same as when
two people from different parts of the world communicate even in the
same language.

In case of India, I think the localization related differences will
probably be more pronounced in processes and workflows that the
software must be customized to support rather than language alone, and
probably will get defined more over the next 5 years.

Peyush Agarwal

I would like to thank all the people who responded.

:)

Sameer chavan