From:
Avi Rappoport <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Avi Rappoport <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 09:05:14 -0700
At 5:08 PM -0500 5/11/1999, David Gilmore wrote:
>Johan's bob seems like best case design - so Bob can read the given font
>size - so what? The question is not what Bob can do, but how typical is Bob
>of the group we want to reach. And what is the cost of pissing off 72-year
>old Renee who loves the Internet but who wishes designers would respect her
>aging eyesight.

One of the nicest things about the basic design of HTML is that it
was really generic.  If I want to use 12-point Geneva as my browser
font, and you want to use 10-point Times, we can both see what we
want to see.  It solves Bob/Renee problem nicely.  But many designers
don't advantage of this fluidity, they want to have control, to force
the browser to be static, to behave like a piece of paper.  Flexible
design can look good whether it's on a big fancy monitor with nice
fonts, a funky small monitor.

When printing was invented, the first books looked just like
manuscripts.  It took several generations for book designers to
understand and take advantage of the different technologies.  I think
we're in that situation today, and hope that we can design for the
medium rather than trying to constrain it.

Avi

Web Site Search Industry Analysis from Search Tools Consulting
    (510) 845-2551  -- <mailto: [log in to unmask]>
Guide to Web Site Indexing and Local Search Engines:
<http://www.searchtools.com>