From:
Michael Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:24:23 PST

www.xyz.state.ks.us
>is not customer-friendly (especially re: email) and too *governmental*.
>know most users get to sites by linking, but couldn't URL's be
considered a
>facet of usability?, as they're really the first thing needed to enable
you
>to perform a task. Over time, I would like to move to advertising just
one
>URL for the whole state, that leads to a gateway that directs you to
any
>service in a couple clicks. However, would that be the most *usable*
way to
>advertise a site about road conditions, or would ksroads.org? (and what
>about 70 more of those as our number of apps grows?)

  Most definitely; I believe that memorable URLs can improve usability
for new sites. A memorable, and short & easy to type URL is also great
for marketing reasons -- the easier to remember, the better.

  I also believe that advertising one URL for the whole state would be
preferrable to separate URLs. Give your residents one easy-to-remember
URL. Perhaps you could branch from that main URL (i.e. if your main
domain is "www.kansas.org", road conditions could be "roads.kansas.org"
or "www.kansas.org/roads").
  Short, catchy, and succint phrases, names, and ideas is a good
marketing formula to use. Same would go for domain names.

  For an example of why I believe this is preferrable, let me tell you
about a situation my coworkers and I faced. We were on a project that
was to be moved to a different city. One of my coworkers wanted to find
out more about this city, it's weather, it's popular attractions, a map,
etc. He typed in that city's name with a ".org" after it. To this city's
credit, there was a web site there with all the information he wanted.

  I hope this helps.

:: me - mlarts.com/michaellee ::: foretold - mlarts.com/foretold ::::
:: the LINE - mlarts.com/line ::: WebBabble - mlarts.com/webbabble ::