From:
"Gill, Kathy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gill, Kathy
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:53:42 -0800
From today's Benton Communications:

PLAYING THE NAME GAME: A GLIMPSE AT THE FUTURE OF THE INTERNET DOMAIN NAME SYSTEM
Issue:  Internet
Abstract from the editor: As the Internet continues to expand into the top
global medium for commerce, education, and communication, individuals and
businesses are racing to claim their own unique Internet address or domain
name. Unlike the three-dimensional world, where many entities may share the
same name, on the Internet each domain name must be unique. As a result of
this uniqueness requirement, a variety of disputes and trademark issues have
arisen as individuals and entities compete for lucrative domain names on the
Internet market. These disputes have led to the submission of two proposals
for the overhaul of the current domain name system. This Note analyzes both
the Internet Ad Hoc Committee's and the United States' proposals, and
recommends additional provisions that should be implemented in order to have
a successful global domain name system for the future.

[SOURCE: Federal Communications Law Journal (p.403), AUTHOR: Rebecca W. Gole]
<http://www.law.indiana.edu/fclj/pubs/v51/no2/v51no2.html> Available 3/99