From:
Bogo Vatovec <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bogo Vatovec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 17:00:33 +0100
Hi,

First, my positive opinion:
I strongly believe that the future of human computer interaction lies in 3D
interaction models + voice.

However, 3D models and computers currently don't really do much good.  The
problem simply lies in a fact that the 3d model must be represented on a 2D
device. Therefore, it's essentially still 2D.
A simplified cognitive process goes something like:
1. Users must realize that it's a navigation model and not an animated GIF
or an add.
2. Users must realize that it's a 3D model.
3. Users must learn how to interact with this model. Visual limitations may
not accurately render 3D perspective.
4. As soon as they learn it, they click a link on a new site that uses a
standard hierarchical interaction model.

Download time and animations annoy a large number of people.

To summarize:
It depends (sic) on the purpose of your site.
1. I'd not use this model on a site that is intended for broather audience
with a variety of experience.
2. I'd use this model if I was selling Web design as "look at what we can
do", but we most likely will not do it for you :)

Best,

bogo

Bogo Vatovec, HCI Consultant
Icon Medialab, Gasstrasse 4, 22761 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 40 8979 8402, Fax: +49 40 8979 8989