From:
Jeff Axup <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Axup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 14:46:09 -0800
Peter,

Navigation in 3D is applicable to the usual usability issues involved in
2D navigation, but appears to bring with a new degree of complexity and
potential for error.  Unless the user's task is inherently 3 dimensional
in nature, it is doubtful that they will actually gain anything by the
medium.

A quick review of the second url you mention as it seems to be more
applicable to actual 3d navigation as opposed to simply 3d visualization:

* use of unintuitive metaphor as the dominant navigation scheme
* lack of consistency of location/purpose mapping
* user's memory load is not minimized
* lack of clearly marked exits
* there is no clear justification for the use of a 3d environment

Most of what I've seen in the way of web-based 3d environments has been
for a "flashy" example of new technology.  These are not user-friendly
products.

Another thought... It may be difficult to adhere to principles of direct
manipulation and user feedback when the interaction with the 3d
environment is too slow.  If I click on an "object" and nothing happens
immediately, I am left wondering if it had any effect.  This is not a new
issue, but one that should be taken into account in the overall usability
of the system.

If anyone knows of any heuristics or usability guidelines that have been
designed specifically for 3d or immersive/VR environments, I would be
interested in seeing them.

Regards,

Jeff

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Peter Merholz wrote:

> CHI-Webbies...
>
> Do folks here have pointers to or good ideas about 3D Navigation models?
>
> I'm not talking VRML here. I'm thinking something simple, such as if the
> shockwave on this page
> http://www.sfx.co.nz/tamahori/thought/shock_3d_heirarchy.html
> served as navigation,
> similar to how it works here:
> http://www.amaze.co.uk/research/window.html
>
> Simple and spare, but with a sense of depth. I'm working on an information
> space that could benefit from something other than the now standard
> top-horizontal-global-nav-and-left-vertical-local-nav scheme.
>
> Thanks,
> --peter
> Peter Merholz            |
> Chief Problem Solver     |    The truth always lies somewhere
> PeterMe, Problems Solved |    in between.
> http://peterme.com       |     -- Steve Champeon

|--- Jeff Axup - [log in to unmask]
     HCI | UI | Java | Perl | C++ | TCL | TK | VR | Web Design---|
     "Life is the ultimate technology."------ICQ:22189656--------|