From:
Aurelie Sissler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aurelie Sissler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:20:56 -0500
- Call for Applications/Papers – ESF-COST Conference - Future Internet and
Society: A Complex Systems Perspective, 2-7 October 2010, Italy

Chair: Romualdo Pastor-Satorras - Departament de Física i Enginyeria Nuclear
(FIB), Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, ES

Co-Chair: Claudio Castellano - CNR-ISC (Istituto dei Sistemi Complessi) and
Dipartimento di Fisica, Sapienza Universitá di Roma, IT

Programme Committee: Thibaut Lery, European Science Foundation, FR; Gian
Mario Maggio, COST Office, BE; Alain Peyraube, Centre National de la
Recherche Scientifique (CNRS, Paris), FR; Peter Richmond, Trinity College
Dublin, School of Physics, IE; Fabrizio Sestini, European Commission, DG
INFSO, BE

Scientific Committee: Loretta Anania, European Commission, BE; Giovanni
Colombo, Information Society and Technology Advisory Group (ISTAG), IT;
Juan Carlos De Martin, Politecnico di Torino, IT; Jose Fernandez-Villacanas,
European Commission, BE; Dirk Helbing, ETH Zurich, CH; Luciano Lenzini,
University of Pisa, IT; Vittorio Loreto, University of Rome "La sapienza", IT;
Felix Reed-Tsochas, CABDyN Complexity Centre, UK; Maxi San Miguel, Institute
for Cross-Disciplinary Physics and Complex Systems, ES

The digital revolution and the advent of the Internet are transforming the way
we work, how we spend our free time. These phenomena are also changing
how we communicate with each other and the way in which we establish and
maintain our social relations. The relationship between Internet and society is
complex and bidirectional, leading to a co-evolution of the two systems. In
fact, the Internet exists because humans need networking and the Internet
evolution is ultimately driven by our ever-increasing use of it.

The complexity of the current Internet structure and its future developments
cannot be understood without taking a full multi-disciplinary approach. Such
an approach must necessarily be based on the science of complex systems,
and in particular complex network theory. It must also depend on social
sciences and humanities to elucidate the underpinnings of the Internet at a
societal and economic level.

This conference will bring together experts in Information and Communication
Technologies (ICT), social scientists, as well as experts in the area of complex
systems They will assess the state-of-the-art, identify new trends and
envision future developments in the intertwined domains of future Internet and
society.

Topics that will be covered in the conference include:

- Internet topology and modelling
- Complex techno-social networks
- Modelling of collective social behaviour
- Social and human dynamics
- Spreading and epidemics in techno-social systems
- Virtual social systems
- Co-evolution of Internet and society
- Internet as a socio-economical system
- Mobile social networks
- Internet enabled applications and business
- Future Internet as a techno-social system.

We welcome top-level presentations on the most recent results in analysis and
modelling, from the point of view of complex systems and other techno-social
issues.A good number of grants are available for young researchers to cover
the conference fee and possibly part of the travel costs. Grant requests
should be made by ticking appropriate field(s) in the paragraph "Grant
application" of the application form.

Full conference programme and application form are accessible online from
www.esf.org/conferences/10341.

ESF-COST Contact for further information: Antje Teegler  -

Closing date for applications: 1 June 2010