CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Laura O'Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura O'Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:11:35 -0500
Hi all,

Atul Gawande, a physician who has written a book, "The Checklist Manifesto"
outlines the need for reform in medicine from a physician's point of view.
Although he is not writing from a patient-centred perspective his ideas are
an important contribution to improving the patient experience. In this book
he describes why medical errors are being made and also provides a way to
improve on this by using checklists. Here's a link to the book:

http://us.macmillan.com/TheChecklistManifesto

The notion of a checklist is something that those of us with usability
training can wrap our heads around, appreciate and contribute to (think
Nielsen's heuristics for UI design). Atul also makes reference to the human
factors work done in the aviation industry. Demonstrating our expertise in
this area while citing Atul may be a good way for the CHI community to get
involved in health care reform.

Laura

_

Laura O'Grady, PhD
Assistant Professor

Ontario Institute for Cancer Research
Knowledge Translation Research Network
Scientific Associate

Department of Family & Community Medicine
Dalla Lana School of Public Health
Faculty of Medicine
University of Toronto
263 McCaul Street, Room 323