Sender:
From:
Hal Shubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:32:10 -0400
I'm designing a large site that's mostly informational. There's a lot
of member-only content.

When we started out, we included username/password fields and a Login
button. Then we decided to go with just a Login button that would
take the user to a Login page. Today, we got rid of the button.

Why no login controls? I can't imagine that logging in is a
high-priority task for any user category. Will anyone go to the home
page (or any other page) to log in? Are they more likely to (a)
expect cookies for automatic login or (b) be happy to log in when
challenged on a restricted page?

Whaddy'all think? Any data? Experiences? Or even gut feelings.

thanks				-- hs

Hal Shubin, Interaction Design, Inc.
617 489 6595
www.user.com