From:
Sara Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sara Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2011 15:53:06 +0000
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS (apologies for cross posting)

IDC 2011 - The 10th International Conference on Interaction Design and
Children - In cooperation with ACM-SIGCHI

University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
June 19-23, 2011

www.idc2011.net

CONFERENCE OVERVIEW

For young people today, technology is pervasive in many aspects of life as
they learn and play using computers and other technological devices, build
and maintain friendships, and engage in innovative learning experiences and
other creative activity.  IDC 2011 continues the IDC tradition of exploring
and expanding the landscape of interaction design and children to understand
children¹s needs and how to design for them by gathering the leading minds
in the field of interaction design and children to present and discuss
innovative research and exhibit the most recent developments in design and
technology for young people.

IDC 2011 would like to invite you to discuss the wide diversification of
technology (e.g., ranging from computers to mobile phones to innovative uses
of digital media, games, and other interactive technologies) for young
people of different profiles, ages (very young children to adolescents) and
psychological, social, and physical needs in different contexts (e.g.,
museums, classrooms, playgrounds, etc.).

Additionally, we would like to explore work addressing our conference theme
"Designing When Boundaries Blur: Reshaping Interaction Design in the
Pervasive Technology Landscape" to discuss the opportunities and challenges
that arise as technology becomes more pervasive.  As some technologies
shrink (e.g., networked, mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets) and
other technologies expand (e.g., large displays, embedded technologies,
haptic interfaces), what does this pervasive technology landscape mean for
interaction design?  The boundaries are now blurred in ways that cause us to
reshape and rethink the research and design approaches that we use for our
work on interaction design and children, especially as we consider
technology use across contexts; the types of artifacts that children can now
view, create, and interact with; and the instruments we use for our own work
on design and evaluation.

We hope that you can contribute and join us for our tenth anniversary as we
reflect on our work, examine these and other issues, develop new IDC
directions for the next ten yearsŠand have a little fun while we're at it!

For detailed and up-to-date information about IDC 2011, please visit
www.idc2011.net or contact [log in to unmask]

SUBMISSIONS

Submissions of workshops, full papers, short papers, and demos, are invited
on all topics from the domain of interaction design for children, including,
but not limited to:

€ Methods, techniques, and guidelines for requirements analysis, design, and
evaluation of interactive systems for ³children as a diverse group² (young
people of different gender and age, with special needs, from different
cultures or ethnical groups).
€ Emerging or new technologies for children (e.g., innovative educational
simulations, interactive games, mobile communications devices, wireless
embedded technologies, robots, accessible fabrication devices, ³smart²
materials, authoring/programming tools).
€ The impact that such technologies can have on children¹s lives and
personalities.
€ Ethnographic and case studies of children¹s use of interactive systems in
schools, at home, in hospitals, in public spaces.
€ Usability, enjoyability, accessibility, and safety issues, with particular
reference to children
€ Novel theoretical models of interaction with special relevance to
children.
€ Design for children¹s civic involvement, democracy, physical and emotional
well-being, and social awareness of environmental, ethical, ethnographical,
or cultural issues.
€ Interactive technology for children from an adult¹s perspective.

All accepted full papers, short papers, and demos, will be presented at the
IDC 2011 conference, and will appear in the IDC 2011 proceedings.
Proceedings will be published in the ACM Digital Library (In cooperation
with ACM-SIGCHI).

For submission instructions please visit www.idc2011.net

IMPORTANT DATES
Workshop Proposals
€ Submission deadline: January 21, 2011
€ Acceptance notification: February 11, 2011
€ Final version deadline: February 18, 2011

Full papers
€ Submission deadline: February 11, 2011
€ Acceptance notification: March 18, 2011
€ Final version deadline: March 28, 2011

Short papers and Demos
€ Submission deadline: March 11, 2011
€ Acceptance notification: April 12, 2011
€ Final version deadline: April 26, 2011

Doctoral Consortium
€ Submission deadline: March 25, 2011
€ Notification date: April 15, 2011

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

CONFERENCE CO-CHAIRS
Tom Moher, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
Chris Quintana, University of Michigan, USA

PROGRAM CHAIR
Sara Price, London Knowledge Lab, United Kingdom

ASSOCIATE PAPERS CHAIRS
Paulo Blikstein, Stanford University, USA
Paul Marshall, University of Warwick, United Kingdom

SHORT PAPERS CHAIRS
Alissa Antle, Simon Fraser University, Canada
Heidi Schelhowe, University of Bremen, Germany

WORKSHOPS CHAIR:
Juan-Pablo Hourcade, University of Iowa, USA

DEMO CHAIRS
Rafael ³Tico² Ballagas, Nokia Research Center, USA
Michael Horn, Northwestern University, USA

DOCTORAL CONSORTIUM CHAIRS
Allison Druin, University of Maryland, USA
Franca Garzotto, Politecnico di Milano, Italy