CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
From:
William Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 22:35:07 -0000
Gautier -

> I'm presently working on usability of huges web sites.
> I've identified a big problem with the "Breadcrumbs", that is, the:
>
> > Home > First page > Second page > Current page
>
> ...along the top of a page.

It isn't exactly a big problem. The text may wrap onto a second line but
it is more of an aesthetic issue than one of usability. Ideally most of
the site should be reachable with a hierarchy of three or four levels at
most. If a breadcrumb line of four items cannot fit across a single line
it may well be that the terms used are too long, but it really isn't the
end of the world.

Regards,

William Hudson
Syntagm Ltd