From:
"Van Laan, Krista" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Van Laan, Krista
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:21:50 -0700
I'm trying to find out if there are any preferences
for the following situation:

A user is buying something, the price of which is
displayed at the top. The user comes to an upsell page.
He/she selects one or more options using a checkbox,
which change the price of the item. (Let's say there
are no more than 5 possible selections.)

In scenario 1, the page refreshes at each selection
as the information is sent to our back end and the price
updated. It may take a second or so, but it will update
the displayed price total.

In scenario 2, the user selects all options and then
clicks an "Update Price" button, which changes the price
total before the user continues to the next page.

We are split on this usability issue. Some people think
that the user does not expect to have the page refresh
upon simply clicking a checkbox, and that this unexpected
behavior plus the added time it takes for several refreshes
could be a poor user experience. Others think no matter
how long the accumulated time, the automatic price updates
is better for usability. I notice that sites such as Amazon
automatically update the price if you delete from your
shopping cart, and the only time you have to click an Update
button is if you change quantities in a field.

I'd appreciate any input anyone has on this.

Thanks,

 Krista

Krista Van Laan
Director of Technical Communications, Security Services
VeriSign, Inc.  http://www.verisign.com
487 E. Middlefield Road    Mountain View, CA 94043
tel: (650) 426-5158     fax: (650) 426-5195