From:
Hagan Rivers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hagan Rivers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:38:18 -0400
>> I'm confronted multiple times a day from web site text that too
>> small to easily read. The worst cases are sites that use font
>> sizes that are two or and three times smaller than 'normal' and
>> the characters are literally unreadable (at 1024x768).

Actually, I think the problem is partly related to the web browsers
themselves. Each browser considers "normal" to be a different actual
font size, and many sites choose a size that looks good for their
predominant platform (that would be Windows, IE), leaving others
behind. Shame on them for not testing, and for not coming up with a
solution that varies by platform... But there it is. I actually found
an interesting article by a fellow named Owne Briggs who was on a
quest to find the one perfect font size that would work well for all
platforms.

http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/font/index.html

Here are his screen shots, by browser, of different default text sizes:

http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/font/browser.html

Here is the result - a page using his universal style sheet:

http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/typography/template.html

A link to the accompanying style sheet is on the page. I've been able
to use his work in applications where there just wasn't engineering
effort available to try and make it work for every platform (shame on
us).

Hope this helps someone,

--
   Hagan Rivers