Kathy Gill <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:53:04 -0700
On 6/20/05, Scott Nelson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > What does improve readability is keeping line lengths to around
> > 70-90 characters.

> my point was: body content laid out at 18 pt doesn't work. many would
> consider 12pt to be small (or at least smaller).

these two are not equivalent statements.

points are basicaly meaningless online:
-- PCs and Macs have different pixel-point ratios
-- "point" size is not fixed -- the higher the resolution the smaller
the physical size of the point (pixel)

Life would be easier for designers if points were "fixed" in size like
they are in the print world (approximately 1/72 of an inch). Instead,
the point is fixed only in the sense that it is a pixel (on a mac, 72
pixels = 72 points) or a pixel+plus-a-little on a PC (96 pixels = 72
points).

However, I don't know how this could be accompished.

Modern browsers (Firefox) make it pretty easy for readers to adjust
size (ctrl-/+) .... modern coders make it easy, too (see A List Apart,
Sacramento Bee, etc).

I don't pretend to know the "answer" -- at one time, I thought
relative sizing was the end-all. Now I'm not so sure.

What I'm more concerned about is "designer" fixation on control and
appearance that is resulting in far too much copy (IMO) to be rendered
in Flash, which does not allow for easy zoom (not sure if it ever
does).

Kathy