From:
Sara Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sara Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2011 10:22:06 +0100
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION (apologies for cross posting)

IDC 2011 - The 10th International Conference on Interaction Design and
Children
In cooperation with ACM and ACM-SIGCHI

University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
June 19-23, 2011

www.idc2011.net

REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN for IDC 2011.  Register now to for early
registration fee and to reserve a spot in pre-conference workshops.

The preliminary program for IDC 2011 is now available listing the accepted
submissions for this year’s conference, including:

●     A set of full papers, posters, and demonstrations addressing the
diverse range of technology projects for children
●     Pre-conference workshops on a range of topics, including teaching
interaction design for children, exploring how children use and create with
video, and issues in designing for and with children
●     Keynote presentation by Dr. Jim Gray, former Director of Learning at
LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc.

CONFERENCE OVERVIEW

For young people today, technology is pervasive in many aspects of life as
they learn and play using computers and other technological devices, build
and maintain friendships, and engage in innovative learning experiences and
other creative activity.  IDC 2011 continues the IDC tradition of exploring
and expanding the landscape of interaction design and children to understand
children’s needs and how to design for them by gathering the leading minds
in the field of interaction design and children to present and discuss
innovative research and exhibit the most recent developments in design and
technology for young people.

IDC 2011 would like to invite you to discuss the wide diversification of
technology (e.g., ranging from computers to mobile phones to innovative uses
of digital media, games, and other interactive technologies) for young
people of different profiles, ages (very young children to adolescents) and
psychological, social, and physical needs in different contexts (e.g.,
museums, classrooms, playgrounds, etc.).

Additionally, we would like to explore work addressing our conference theme
"Designing When Boundaries Blur: Reshaping Interaction Design in the
Pervasive Technology Landscape" to discuss the opportunities and challenges
that arise as technology becomes more pervasive.  As some technologies
shrink (e.g., networked, mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets) and
other technologies expand (e.g., large displays, embedded technologies,
haptic interfaces), what does this pervasive technology landscape mean for
interaction design?  The boundaries are now blurred in ways that cause us to
reshape and rethink the research and design approaches that we use for our
work on interaction design and children, especially as we consider
technology use across contexts; the types of artifacts that children can now
view, create, and interact with; and the instruments we use for our own work
on design and evaluation.

We hope that you can contribute and join us for our tenth anniversary as we
reflect on our work, examine these and other issues, develop new IDC
directions for the next ten years…and have a little fun while we're at it!

For detailed and up-to-date information about IDC 2011, please visit
www.idc2011.net or contact [log in to unmask]

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

CONFERENCE CO-CHAIRS
Tom Moher, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
Chris Quintana, University of Michigan, USA

PROGRAM CHAIR
Sara Price, London Knowledge Lab, United Kingdom

ASSOCIATE PAPERS CHAIRS
Paulo Blikstein, Stanford University, USA
Paul Marshall, University of Warwick, United Kingdom

SHORT PAPERS CHAIRS
Alissa Antle, Simon Fraser University, Canada
Heidi Schelhowe, University of Bremen, Germany

WORKSHOPS CHAIR:
Juan-Pablo Hourcade, University of Iowa, USA

DEMO CHAIRS
Rafael “Tico” Ballagas, Nokia Research Center, USA
Michael Horn, Northwestern University, USA

DOCTORAL CONSORTIUM CHAIRS
Allison Druin, University of Maryland, USA
Franca Garzotto, Politecnico di Milano, Italy