CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
From:
William Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 08:48:53 -0000
I asked about recommendations for good Ajax sites. I received many good
suggestions, summarized below.

The prize for conciseness goes to David More with his one-word reply,
'Gmail'<g>.

Many thanks to all who responded.

Regards,

William

-----

Digg.com the user submitted stories site always has really good ones pop
up.
A simple search located several nice ones.

http://digg.com/search?section=all&s=ajax

regards,
Bryan (Grubaugh)

-----

Yes go to the store of apple.com

Andreas

-----

Sears has an interesting subcategory page that allows a user to
dynamically refine their result set:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Appliances_Dishwashers_Built-In
(for example). The delay for filtering can be annoying when the site is
slow (more noticeable during this heavy time of year -- shopping
season), but I've seen it be pretty fast in the past.

Stephanie (Brenton)

-----

First off, is it really about AJAX or Rich Internet Technologies. I mean
of course it matters in some ways to your team, but if you are looking
for examples, the behaviors often blur to the point where most people
can't tell the difference. So all of my suggestions might not be AJAX.

1. go to del.icio.us and look up the tag riaexamples and ria-examples. I
have a few there and I'm sure others do.

2. Here is my list (usable is up to you to decide)
Netflix.com (is probably the post child of AJAX use)
Gap does a pretty good job too.
Zenbe.com
Facebook has lots of AJAX
Amazon is now doing ajax in their search
Zimbra.com email client
Google Apps (Docs, Gmail, Talk, Calendar, Maps)
(I find it interesting to compare Google Docs-AJAX to
Buzzword-Flex/Flash.)
Zoho Apps
37Signals apps (basecamp)

Actually, as I write this application there isn't a major web
application I use today that is not incorporating AJAX, so it goes to
the soul of your question about usable and since there hasn't been a
released comprehensive study done on these sites saying yea or nay I'm
not sure where to start and stop on the list, so I'll end here.

-- dave (malouf)

[WH: It really was about Ajax!]

-----

http://www.silobreaker.com/ is pretty ajaxy.

See http://www.asp.net/ajax/showcase/ for MS Ajax example sites.

Thank you,

Greg Herzhauser

-----

Google Maps.

Jeff Johnson

-----

Hello,
I think this has a good list that is also categorized nicely
http://ajaxpatterns.org/Ajax_Examples

Looking forward to the summary.

Aras Kannu

-----

Gmail.

David More

-----

Google Maps (maps.google.com) and Facebook (www.facebook.com) are two of
my favorites. Google Maps is probably a better Ajax showcase because the
Ajax-ness is central to the effectiveness of the site. Facebook is more
just a really usable website that incorporates Ajax in some subtle and
effective ways, but doesn't really need the technology to fulfill its
purpose.

--
Tom Weimer