Date:
Wed, 25 May 2011 14:29:42 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Rob Capra <[log in to unmask]>
*
*    CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
*
*    HCIR 2011
*    5th Workshop on Human-Computer Interaction & Information Retrieval
*    http://hcir.info/hcir-2011
*
*    Google Main Campus, Mountain View, CA
*    Thursday, October 20th, 2011
*
*    Position papers, research papers, HCIR Challenge
*    (4 page limit for all paper types)
*

* OVERVIEW
Building on the success of prior HCIR workshops, the Fifth Workshop on Human-Computer Interaction and Information Retrieval will be held all day on Thursday, October 20th, 2011, at Google's main campus in Mountain View, California. There will be a reception on Wednesday evening before the workshop.

We are very pleased that our keynote speaker this year will be Gary Marchionini, Dean of the School of Information and Library Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

We are also excited to continue the HCIR Challenge, this year focusing on the problem of information availability, where the seeker faces uncertainty as to whether the information of interest is available at all. The corpus will be the CiteSeer digital library of scientific literature, which contains over 750,000 documents and provides rich meta-data about documents, authors, and citations.

In addition to the Challenge and a small number of research presentations, we will leave plenty of time for what participants have consistently told us that they find extremely valuable: informal discussions, posters and directed group discussions. Our target is to have 60-70 participants.

*FORMAT: THREE SUBMISSION CATEGORIES
This year we invite three types of papers: position papers, research papers and challenge reports.

     * Position papers will be judged by members of the organizing committee, based on relevance to HCIR. Idea diversity across all submissions may also be considered.

     * Research papers will be peer-reviewed and judged for both research quality and their likelihood to stimulate discussion. Reviewers will recommend papers for oral presentation.

     * Challenge reports will be reviewed by the organizing committee, based on how well they address the challenge criteria. Reviewers will select challenge systems for demonstration at the workshop, where a panel of judges will evaluate the systems and a winner will be determined live.

Acceptance of a position paper, research paper, or challenge report earns the author(s) admission to the workshop and the opportunity to present a poster.

All papers must adhere to the 4-page limit, and will be reviewed by the workshop organizers and additional reviewers.  The revised versions of accepted papers will be published on the workshop website. Please submit papers using our EasyChair site:

    https://www.easychair.org/account/signin.cgi?conf=hcir2011

* TOPICS
Possible topics for discussion and presentation at the workshop include, but are not limited to:

     * Novel interaction techniques for information retrieval.
     * Modeling and evaluation of interactive information retrieval.
     * Exploratory search and information discovery.
     * Information visualization and visual analytics.
     * Applications of HCI techniques to information retrieval needs in specific domains.
     * Ethnography and user studies relevant to information retrieval and access.
     * Scale and efficiency considerations for interactive information retrieval systems.
     * Relevance feedback and active learning approaches for information retrieval.

Demonstrations of systems and prototypes are particularly welcome. If you are interested in participating in the HCIR Challenge, please refer to the instructions at this link:

     http://hcir.info/hcir-2011/challenge

* IMPORTANT DATES
     Submission deadline (position and research papers): Sunday, July 31
     Notification date: Thursday, September 8
     Presentations and poster session at workshop: Thursday, October 20

* REGISTRATION
Thanks to generous contributions made by Google, Microsoft Research, and Endeca, there will be no registration fee for HCIR this year.  Information about how to register will be sent to authors of accepted position papers, research papers, and challenge reports.

* STUDENT TRAVEL AWARDS
We are pleased to be able to offer a limited number of student travel awards based on the generous contributions of Microsoft Research and Endeca.  Information about these awards and how to apply for them is available at this link:

     http://hcir.info/hcir-2011/student-travel

* IP&M SPECIAL ISSUE
We are guest co-editing a dedicated special topic issue of Information Processing & Management (IP&M), focused on research at the intersection of human-computer interaction and information retrieval. HCIR Workshop participants are encouraged to submit an article describing their presented research in significantly expanded form. For more details, visit this link:

     http://hcir.info/hcir-2011/ipm-special-issue

* WORKSHOP ORGANIZERS
     Robert Capra, UNC Chapel Hill
     Gene Golovchinsky, FX Palo Alto Laboratory
     Bill Kules, The Catholic University of America
     Dan Russell, Google
     Catherine Smith, Kent State University
     Daniel Tunkelang, LinkedIn
     Ryen White, Microsoft Research