Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2011 18:40:29 +1100
Sender:
From:
Florian 'Floyd' Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
The Exertion Games Lab (exertiongameslab.org) in Melbourne, Australia,
is seeking exceptional PhD candidates to research the future of
exertion games and play.

The Exertion Games Lab is a new lab that researches the future of
gaming in order to understand how to design better interactive
experiences, in particular games that require intense physical effort
from players. We call it the intersection between gaming and sports.
Our research is focused on the merging of play and the active human
body, drawing from research streams such as interaction design, human-
computer interaction and computer games research.

The culture in the Exertion Games Lab is one of interdisciplinary
work. At the Exertion Games Lab, we do not just philosophize and write
about the future, we actively invent it. We emphasize the development
of working prototypes in order to fully understand what play is, why
we play, and how we will play in the future. We do this because we
believe playing and gaming is a fundamental part of what makes us
humans who we are, and an understanding of this brings us closer to
our vision of a better world filled with interactive technologies that
support human values.

We are looking for exceptional candidates who value an
interdisciplinary perspective, are highly motivated, willing to learn
a variety of new skills, can think outside the box, are creative as
well as technical, and also have highly developed analytical and
communicative skills.
We are offering a great open-plan lab environment in the Design Hub,
Australia's newest interdisciplinary design center at RMIT (Royal
Melbourne Institute of Technology), where we work together to invent
the future of exertion games, with great support for physical game
prototyping and international collaborations. You will be supervised
by me, Florian 'Floyd' Mueller; I have created the lab based on my
experiences from working across 3 continents at research labs such as
MIT's Media Lab, Media Lab Europe, Xerox Parc, Fuji Xerox, Microsoft
Research Asia, the University of Melbourne, CSIRO and Stanford
University.

Unlike most other countries, RMIT's PhDs in the Exertion Games Lab
take only 3 years, they require a 4-year degree or a Masters
(exceptions if you have work experience etc.), and there are many
different scholarships available that can cover both tuition and
living expenses (i.e. no teaching or RA'ing required, taking time away
from your PhD): http://rmit.edu.au/browse;ID=igf2sdssaler1
(International students will be mostly looking at RUIRS, and
Australian/New Zealand citizens at APA. There is also jason.edu.au for
more scholarships, and your home country might also offer scholarships
to conduct PhD research overseas, for example we have had great
experiences with DAAD and Fulbright.)

Also, applications for a PhD work a bit different than in most other
countries: You can apply anytime, but in order to be considered for
most scholarships, you will need to have your application in before
the 28 Oct 2011 (note time-difference!) for a start date of early/mid
2012. But before you submit your application, you will need to have
convinced us in the Exertion Games Lab to support your application.
So in order to support your application, please send us
(http://exertiongameslab.org/about) via email your CV, a cover letter
with what you would like to
research with your PhD, and why, and a link to your portfolio,
including any research papers you might have written. In your
portfolio, we will be looking at your potential for creativity,
excellence and drive in relation to Exertion Games. If we like what we
see, we will then underwrite your application that you will send to
the central RMIT University PhD application system.

We should also mention that you will be doing your PhD right in the
heart of the world's most livable city, Melbourne:
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1583116/melbourne-judged-world-s-most-livable-city

Here is what Wired said about us recently:
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/09/exertion-games-lab-where-physical-meets-digital/

Looking forward to reading your applications!
Thanks,
Floyd