Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2012 16:50:49 +0000
8bit
Sender:
From:
Oussama Metatla <[log in to unmask]>
How might you listen to a diagram, feel the touch of sounds, and work
with others when using different senses? These are some of the questions
that we have been exploring in the Collaborative Cross-modal Interfaces
project (CCmI).

CCmI investigates how to support collaboration between visually-impaired
and sighted users in the workplace. We have recently released the CCmI
Diagram Editor, an open-source collaborative tool that supports
non-visual access and editing of nodes-and-links diagrams (e.g.
flowcharts, mind maps, circuit diagrams, train maps, etc). This first
release includes support for the construction of diagrams using a visual
and an audio interface.

To download the tool, visit:
http://ccmi.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/downloads

The tool's source code is also available here:
https://code.soundsoftware.ac.uk/projects/ccmieditor

The tool is released under the GNU General Public License. We invite you
to download it, run it, modify it, and share it with your friends and
colleagues, free of charge.

Here is a video showing the some of features of the CCmI Diagram Editor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svfSeP3HOJo

Here is a video showing some of the studies that were conducted with
sighted and visual impaired people using the CCmI Diagram Editor in
their workplace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFPuW-KJmhs&feature=related

Note that the current release does not include support for the PHANTOM
OmniŽ Haptic device as shown in the video. A full version of the tool
which includes haptic support will be released in the near future.

For more information on the CCmI project, please visit: ccmi.eecs.qmul.ac.uk

CCmI is based at the School of Electronic Engineering and Computer
Science, Queen Mary University of London, and is funded by Research
Councils UK Digital Economy Programme.

Thanks,
Oussama.
--