Sender:
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2012 22:39:18 +0200
From:
Florian 'Floyd' Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP.

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

+++ Play In Unconventional Spaces +++

Workshop at OzCHI 2012
November 27, 2012
Melbourne, Australia

IMPORTANT DATES

Submission Deadline:  October 1, 2012
Notification of Acceptance:  October 12, 2012
Camera-Ready Papers due:  October 26, 2012

Workshop:  November 27, 2012

ABSTRACT

Playful activities generally occur in defined play spaces. In particular,
digital play has traditionally been confined to arcades and living rooms.
The advent of recent technologies such as mobile devices allows us to play
anywhere. However, the spaces in which we play inform the play experience,
yet the relationship between play, technology and unconventional play
spaces have received little attention so far. Spaces that afford
playfulness are seemingly expanding along with our understanding of play in
our culture. As a result, designers are required to rethink where, when and
with whom we play when designing playful interactions and experiences. We
are proposing a workshop to bring researchers and industry participants
together to discuss how to design playful interactions for these expanding
unconventional play spaces. The workshop will aim to support the
development and understanding of future research, work and collaboration in
designing playful interactions for unconventional play spaces.

WORKSHOP GOALS AND TOPICS

Recommended goals and topics include, but are not limited to, the following:

   - To provide a space for an exchange of ideas about play, games, and
   designing interactions that revolve around unconventional play spaces
   - To gain a broad understanding of the issues and potential challenges
   faced when considering unconventional play spaces as a design space
   - To raise awareness and appreciation of digital games and playful
   interactions in unconventional play spaces
   - The role and significance of space in regards to play in our culture
   and society
   - How to design playful interactions that do not intrude non-players’
   spaces, and if they do, how to use it as a design opportunity
   - How to design playful interactions that incorporate, invite or engage
   non-players

SUBMISSION

Interested researchers and practitioners are invited to submit a position
paper or case study paper (2-4 pages) formatted according to the OzCHI
format (which can be found here:
http://www.ozchi.org/**submit/submit.html<http://www.ozchi.org/submit/submit.html>)
and email the organisers (listed below) by October 1, 2012. The papers
should focus on current research activities, opportunities and/or
interesting aspects of future work. Authors of accepted workshop papers
will be notified on October 26, 2012.

ORGANIZERS

Cagdas 'Chad' Toprak, Exertion Games Lab, RMIT University, Melbourne,
Australia - [log in to unmask]
Florian 'Floyd' Mueller, Exertion Games Lab, RMIT University, Melbourne,
Australia - [log in to unmask]

--
Even more media coverage of Joggobot:
http://exertiongameslab.org/projects/joggobot