Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2013 14:23:35 +0100
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Brent Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
In line with the other workshops, we're extending our deadline to Jan. 18th as well. Our submission site is open, so upload your statement anytime before then!

--------------------------------

Workshop on Geographic Human-Computer Interaction – CALL FOR PAPERS
April 27-28, 2013 (at CHI 2013)
Paris, France
http://geohci2013.grouplens.org
@geohci

Position Statements Due: January 18, 2013

Geography is increasingly important to areas of human-computer interaction (HCI) ranging from social computing to mobile computing to natural user interfaces. Similarly, research in geography focuses more and more on HCI-related topics. There have been few opportunities, however, for intradisciplinary or interdisciplinary knowledge sharing, knowledge creation or community building among those whose interests lie at the boundary of these two fields.

It is in this context that we invite members of the HCI and geography communities to participate in a workshop on Geographic Human-Computer Interaction (http://geohci2013.grouplens.org/) at CHI 2013, the largest HCI conference and a top-tier HCI publication venue. The workshop will encourage the sharing of research questions, datasets, methods, literature, and tools among “GeoHCI” researchers and practitioners across disciplinary lines. We will also address critical open questions including “What makes spatial special in GeoHCI?” (e.g. What makes a location-based social network different from a traditional online social network?) and “What are GeoHCI’s fundamental principles?” (e.g. Spatial autocorrelation? Gravity Models?)

The workshop, held April 27-28, 2013, will be of interest to researchers and practitioners in areas including (but not limited to) location-based systems, local search, augmented reality, natural user interfaces, ubiquitous computing, neogeography/neocartography, location-based social networks, geowikis, citizen science, crisis informatics, sustainable HCI, volunteered geographic information, GIScience, public-participation GIS, geodesign, Geo UX, and geovisualization.

Our keynote speaker will be Dr. Jens Riegelsberger, a senior researcher on Google's Geo User Experience team.

Interested members of the HCI and geography communities should submit a two-page position statement describing their relevant work by January 18, 2013 (submission details are available on the workshop website). One or more authors of accepted statements must register for the workshop and at least one day of the main program of the CHI conference (April 29 – May 2, 2013).

Submissions should discuss topics that appeal to the broader GeoHCI community. In addition to highlighting the author(s)’s work on GeoHCI-related research questions and applications, we recommend that position statements address some subset of the following questions:

High-level Questions:
• What is ‘special about spatial’ in your area?
• What are, in your view, fundamental principles in GeoHCI?
• What are the most important open GeoHCI-related questions in your area?
Methodology Questions:
• What are the geospatial methods that you have found most valuable in your work?
• What are the datasets and tools you use in your work, and how have they helped you?
Interdisciplinary Questions:
• Are there findings, methods, tools or datasets that you suspect exist across the disciplinary boundary that would help you with your work?
• What fundamental principles of your field are most missing from the other field’s research?
• How can we foster stronger intra- and interdisciplinary collaboration?

We are also hosting an optional second day of the workshop that will consist of various "in the field" activities. We are actively seeking proposals for participant-led field trips. Have a great new citizen science app you want to demonstrate? Want to lead an OpenStreetMap data collection activity to bring everyone at the workshop up to speed on the OSM state-of-the-art? Can you guide us on an augmented reality tour of Paris? Let us know! Position statements that are accompanied by proposals for field-based activities will receive extra consideration.

LOGISTICS

• Position statements should be two pages long and in CHI Archive format.
• Position statements are not anonymous. Reviews will be single-blind.
• Authors must submit their statements by January 18, 2013.
• Please submit positions statements via GeoHCI’s EasyChair site (https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=geohci2013)
• Notifications of acceptance will be e-mailed on February 8, 2013.
• One or more authors of accepted statements must register for the workshop and at least one day of the main program of the conference, which runs from April 29-May 2, 2013.

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

• Brent Hecht (University of Minnesota – Computer Science)
• Johannes Schöning (Hasselt University – Expertise Center for Digital Media; University College London – Intel Center for Sustainable Cities)
• Muki Haklay (University College London – Civil, Environmental & Geomatic Engineering)
• Licia Capra (University College London – Computer Science)
• Afra J. Mashhadi (Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs)
• Loren Terveen (University of Minnesota – Computer Science)
• Mei-Po Kwan (University of California, Berkeley – Geography)

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

• Corné van Elzakker (University of Twente)
• Tom Erickson (IBM T. J. Watson Research Center)
• Volker Paelke (Institut de Geomàtica)
• Reid Priedhorsky (Los Alamos National Labs)
• Martin Raubal (ETH Zurich)
• Jens Riegelsberger (Google)
• Anthony Robinson (Penn State)
• Gerhard Schall (Graz University of Technology)
• Raz Schwartz (Rutgers University)
• Sabine Timpf (University of Augsburg)
• Jo Vermeulen (Hasselt University)
• Jun Zhang (Pitney Bowes)

Field activities are also being coordinated by Giovanni Quattrone (University College  London – Computer Science) and Artemis Skarlatidou (University College London – Civil, Environmental & Geomatic Engineering).