Sender:
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2014 22:56:14 -0500
8bit
From:
Jason Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Submission deadline: 15 January 2014
Publication date: October–December 2014

Here is a link to this same info:
http://www.computer.org/portal/web/computingnow/pccfp4

------------

Smart watches, head-mounted displays, and wearable devices for tracking
and promoting health and fitness and other applications are becoming
common. These devices range from special purpose sensors to fully
functional computing platforms, with user interfaces that cover the
spectrum from those with no on-device interface to interactive displays,
sound systems, and new methods of communicating between device and user.
Compared to past wearable computers, this plethora of devices may be
more successful through exploiting lower-power processors and sensors,
efficient networks, smaller components, more powerful supporting
infrastructure, and higher consumer fascination with mobile, perhaps
even fashionable, gadgets.

This special issue aims to explore the many challenges and purposes for
wearable computing. For example, what are the best interfaces for
devices without traditional displays? There are many obstacles to high
user acceptance and compliance for health-related wearables, ranging
from timely but unobtrusive information on head-mounted displays to the
implications of social interactions when everyone becomes part of the
Internet of Things. How do we protect the wearer's privacy and the
privacy of the innocent bystanders who happen to encounter the wearer?
What sensing, computation and storage should happen on-board the device,
and what should happen instead in the supporting infrastructure? How do
we design that infrastructure? What are the lessons we can learn from
current and past deployments of wearable devices in industry or the
military?

We invite original and high-quality submissions addressing all aspects
of this field, as long as the connection to the focus topic is clear and
emphasized. Relevant topics include, but are not limited to, the following:

- Infrastructural support for wearable computing
- Context sensing through wearable devices
- Wearable computing for health and safety
- Manufacturing, industrial, and military applications of
   wearable devices
- Software platforms for wearable computing
- Novel user interfaces for interacting with wearable devices
- Social implications for wearable computing
- Ergonomic issues related to wearable devices
- Privacy and security related to wearable computing and the
   people who utilize the technology
- Retrospectives on past wearable projects and products
- Software architectures for wearable computing
- Power generation and management
- Display technology for wearable computing
- Using wearable computing for collaboration
- Surveys of the field

Special Issue Guest Editors
- Mary Baker, HP Labs
- Mark Billinghurst, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- Jason Hong, Carnegie Mellon University

Submission Information
Submissions should be 4,000 to 6,000 words long and should follow the
magazine's guidelines on style and presentation. All submissions will be
single-blind anonymously reviewed in accordance with normal practice for
scientific publications. For more information, contact the guest editors
at [log in to unmask]

--
Jason I. Hong                    Associate Professor
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jasonh    Human Computer Interaction Institute