Sender:
From:
Hal Shubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2006 08:55:13 -0400
I'm writing up a usability report for a client and something keeps
coming back to me. None of the pages have clear titles or names, and
I wonder if that makes it harder for users to think about them.

I found that they have one page too many in a particular editing
workflow with similar commands scattered across those pages. I think
it's hard for people to know where to go to do a task because they
can't tell the pages apart.

One way to tell pages apart is to think, "Now go to the editing page"
or "Now go to that page called 'Do your homework' " or "Next, let's
find that page with the thumbnails of my document." But if the pages
are all alike, it seems to damage the ability to build a mental model
of the system. I think a model is important here, even if it's
temporary (for the duration of one session) because people go back
and forth among the pages and need to be able to find them.

Whaddya think? Lemmeno.

thanks                                  -- hs

PS: This was an eight-participant study. I prefer a smaller number,
but we wanted to work with existing customers and new users (even
though they're really the same user type). So I ran the study on a
Tuesday and a Thursday to give myself a day off in between because
running a study is really hard work. I think the day off helped me
think about the issues.

It was during the very last session that the problem of the confusing
workflow crystalized. I was thinking to myself "Yeah, yeah, yeah. We
know about all those problems. What else is new?" while remaining
very professional on the outside (I checked the tapes!). Then the
light bulb went off. Maybe four people isn't enough to find most of
the problems. Or maybe I should have worked harder to figure this out
sooner. Or maybe I should just adjust my attitude...

Hal Shubin, Interaction Design, Inc.
617 489 6595
www.user.com