Sender:
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2006 16:50:05 -0400
From:
Kay Corry Aubrey <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Hi - I received numerous e-mails from people interested in this topic, but
just a few with advice on good resources for document design of end-user
research. Here is a rundown of the e-mails I received. If you have
additional ideas not presented here, please forward them to me and I will
pass them along to this list. Thanks to the people who responded -

Kay

From: [log in to unmask]
I would also be interested in any templates for results apart from the
National institute of standards.
 (The NIST) is a basic table of contents with a set standard for the
measures you report on. I am not sure it is worth the cost of admission.

The structure is:

Executive Overview
Methodology
Testers
Observers
Tests and Observations
Measures
Appendix
actual data from the tests

This is the modified version of the NIST that we use. The report structure
is more about a standard for ordering the information, and less of a
presentation standard.

Ed
************

From: warfel [[log in to unmask]]
I would recommend grabbing just about any of the Tufte books from Amazon.
They're packed w/information for visually representing data (finding).

************
From: someone who prefers to remain anonymous

I recently saw this link for example personas:
<http://www.quarry.com/integration/interaction_design/personas/examples/>The
Quarry.com people apparently contributed to the new book from Morgan
Kaufmann called The Persona Lifecycle by John Pruitt

(Microsoft) and Tamara Adlin (Adlin, Inc.). The book has a section called
"Persona Artifacts (The What and How of Communicating Your Personas)" that
has many examples.

*************
From: Kay Aubrey

I found the following books on Amazon that deal with book and document
design. I haven't read them, but from the description they sound relevant to
this topic:
Designing a Document Strategy [Paperback]
By: Kevin Craine
$18.87

Dynamics in Document Design: Creating Text for Readers [Paperback]
By: Karen A. Schriver
$31.50

Document Strategy Design Workbook [Paperback]
By: Kevin Craine
$14.27