Sender:
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2006 14:24:08 -0400
From:
"Jared M. Spool" <[log in to unmask]>
At 08:55 AM 5/18/2006, Hal Shubin wrote:
>One way to tell pages apart is to think, "Now go to the editing page" or
>"Now go to that page called 'Do your homework' " or "Next, let's find that
>page with the thumbnails of my document." But if the pages are all alike,
>it seems to damage the ability to build a mental model of the system. I
>think a model is important here, even if it's temporary (for the duration
>of one session) because people go back and forth among the pages and need
>to be able to find them.

Hi Hal, (I'm now making a point to say "hi" because of a comment you made
months ago. :) )

My first reaction is this feels like the wrong direction to me. If people
are having problems that being aware of the structure of page architecture
is necessary for success, then I think there is something fundamentally
wrong with the architecture.

My gut tells me the users should only focus on their tasks. The names of
pages and their functions should be invisible in the best scenario.

Instead of going in the direction where you make the architecture more
visible, is there a way to change it to make it invisible?

Jared

510 Turnpike Street, Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
978 327-5561   [log in to unmask]  http://www.uie.com
Blog: http://www.uie.com/brainsparks