Sender:
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2012 20:48:59 -0800
From:
Lizbeth Escobedo <[log in to unmask]>
[Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP]

Pervasive Health 2012 :: 3rd CALL FOR PAPERS
The 6th International ICST Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies
for Healthcare
May 21-24, 2012
San Diego, California, United States
http://pervasivehealth.org/
---------------------------------------

This year's Keynote speaker is Deborah Estrin, Professor of Computer
Science, UCLA.

Draft Abstract of Keynote talk:

Telling Traces

Even the simplest mobile phone can be used to capture time-stamped
self-reported data; and, when supported by web-based applications to
prompt, capture, and curate, these "tweets with a purpose" can help
individuals create and curate traces of their health status, disease
symptoms, medication side-effects, health behaviors, etc. Moreover,
smartphones can be readily programmed to automatically record GPS
coordinates, wireless fingerprints, and accelerometer readings; which in
turn can be processed to create geocoded, time-stamped, activity logs of
our every day lives. When combined with the wealth of spatial data and
models available on the web these activity traces can be used to make
strong inferences. Unlike much of the data captured by third party services
and surveillance systems, our activity and self-report traces are already
personally identified, legally reusable, and easily available to the
individual. We have the opportunity to capture, process, and learn from our
own traces--as patients--and at the same time feedback data to clinicians
and researchers . In this talk I will describe applications and approaches
developed through work at UCLA and openmhealth.org.

IMPORTANT DATES
Paper submission deadline: 16 February 2012
Notification of acceptance: 12 April 2012
Camera-ready submission: 20 April 2012
Conference: 21-24 May 2012