From:
Madhu Reddy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Madhu Reddy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2010 11:59:33 -0500
CSCW 2011 Workshop on Collaborative Privacy Practices in Social Media

March 19, 2011, Hangzhou, China

Research and design concerning information privacy and security has long
focused on issues at the individual level. Most technological safeguards
and policies have been oriented towards individual privacy practices
(IPP). Yet, many Web 2.0 technologies are highly collaborative where
collective action with rich data exchange is the norm. In the context of
social media, concerned private information will not only reside in a
single user's own domain, but also be co-managed by other users (e.g.,
friends who upload or comment a picture). Thus, the task of privacy
management has to involve other users in a collaborative fashion.

However, current literature is insufficient to address why and how a
group of users would enact collaborative privacy practices (CPP) through
technical and operational means to co-manage their shared data. Hence,
this workshop will focus on the issues and challenges associated with
the conceptualization and design aspects of CPP. This workshop has three
main goals. First, we will explore the contributions that CSCW research
has made to our understanding of CPP. Second, we will identify
challenges to conceptualizing CPP and to designing and evaluating tools
for enacting CPP. Third, we will develop a research agenda for future
research on CPP.

This workshop is part of CSCW 2011 <http://cscw2011.org/> .

Call for Participation

Potential workshop participants should submit 2-4 page position papers
(HCI Archive Format) that describe:

* their area of research as it relates to CPP;

* the future direction they see research in this space taking.

Email submissions to: [log in to unmask]

Important Dates:

December 22, 2010: Position papers due,

December 31, 2010: Notification of acceptance,

March 19, 2011: Workshop.

More details: http://pal.ist.psu.edu/cscw2011cpp/

Organizers: Heng Xu, Xiaolong (Luke) Zhang, and Madhu Reddy (The
Pennsylvania State University, University Park)

===

Madhu Reddy Ph.D.

Associate Professor

Director of Graduate Programs

                                      | Office :321J IST Building

College of Information Sciences       |Phone  :814-863-6316

and Technology                        | fax    :814-865-6426

The Pennsylvania State University     | E-mail :[log in to unmask]

University Park, PA. 16802-6823