From:
"Lammers, H.A." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lammers, H.A.
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2012 20:27:58 +0000
Call - Workshop: Visualization in University Level Computer Science Education

At the 2nd Computer Science Education Research Conference (CSERC'2012<http://www.fedcsis.org/cserc>) (http://www.fedcsis.org/cserc), Wroc³aw, Poland, September 9 - 12, 2012.

Topic - Visualization as representation mode has different purposes in Computer Science education: representing models, networks and traffic, complex data structures or processes. In teaching Computer Science at academic level we need to be aware of the importance of choice of representations. Our aim for this workshop is to consider the diversity of visual representations in computer science education, to learn from best practice and to develop a vision on, and research agenda for, collaboration on visualization patterns and teaching guidelines. The workshop will allow exchange of ideas, experiences, teaching practices, viewpoints from different disciplines, and visions on the role of visualization in supporting learning and teaching.

Approach – This workshop will allow exchange of ideas, experiences, teaching practices, viewpoints from different disciplines, and visions on the role of visualisation in supporting learning and teaching. Ideally, this exchange will result in the development of a preliminary research agenda for a domain where, as yet, no single one exists that is shared by a community strong enough to put it into (research) practice.

Expected outcomes - We intend to develop our workshop discussion results into a publication to be submitted for pear review, either in the way of a monograph, a journal paper, or a chapter in a handbook, aiming at an audience of interaction designers or teachers on visualization in interaction design.
Depending of the outcome of the discussion, more structural outcomes like a website of taxonomies of visualization approaches with example, or a catalogue of design studies, will be considered.

Participants - Participation will be through selection based on submitted position statements. The statements from accepted participants will be available on the workshop website for prior orientation and discussion. We expect between 10 and 20 active participants,
Workshop Deadlines
July 31, 2012:

Submission deadline

August 6, 2012:

Decisions to submitters

August 30, 2012:

Updated submissions due

September 9-12, 2012:

Workshop (exact date TBA)

Organization - This workshop is organized by Gerrit van der Veer (Open University, The Netherlands), Achim Ebert, Inga Scheler, and Shah Rukh Humayoun (latter three: University of Kaiserslautern, Germany). The team is comprised of representatives with a wide multi-disciplinary expertise. They all have significant experience in the main disciplines (HCI and cognitive sciences), as well as in related areas and application domains.

Details for participation - http://www.hciv.de/cserc12