From:
Wendy Moncur <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wendy Moncur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2012 06:29:02 -0500
Apologies for cross posting.

Final Call for Participation

Memento Mori: Technology Design for the End of Life
CHI 2012, Austin, Texas, USA. May 6th 2012

Interactive technologies increasingly play a role throughout our lives – and the end of life is no exception. Building on a successful workshop at CHI 2010, we invite participation in the CHI 2012 workshop “Memento Mori: Technology Design for the End of Life”.

The workshop will be held in conjunction with ACM SIGCHI 2012, May 5-10, 2012 in Austin, Texas.

This one-day workshop will address technology use associated with the end of the human lifespan, in the processes of death, dying and bereavement. Example topics include (but are not limited to): health systems for the dying, interactive memorials, bereavement support systems, digital inheritance, and death-oriented perspectives on social media.

We invite 2-4 page submissions in CHI Extended Abstracts format that critically analyse authors’ experiences of designing, using, or evaluating technologies that engage with the End of Life. We encourage submissions from diverse backgrounds, including (but not limited to): medicine, sociology, law, social work, the arts, humanities, death studies, and thanatology. Industrial and community organizations are similarly encouraged, and will be joined by founders of prominent organizations including The Digital Beyond, Entrustet, and Legacy Locker. Submissions will be selected based on originality, quality, and ability to promote discussion. Both completed and in-progress work is welcome.

Submissions and questions should be directed to Michael Massimi ([log in to unmask]) by January 13, 2012. More information can be found at http://sites.google.com/site/chi2012eol/home . At least one author of each accepted paper must register for the workshop and at least one day of the ACM CHI 2012 conference.

Workshop Organizers
Michael Massimi, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada
Wendy Moncur, School of Computing, University of Dundee, UK
William Odom, Human Computer Interaction Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
Richard Banks, Microsoft Research, Cambridge, UK
Dave Kirk, Culture Lab, School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, UK.
 Twitter #chi2012eol

Sincerely,
Dr.Wendy Moncur, FRSA
Lecturer & EPSRC Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
School of Computing,
University of Dundee,
Scotland.
Visiting Fellow, Centre for Death & Society, University of Bath
Home page: http://www.computing.dundee.ac.uk/staff/wmoncur/