Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2012 18:24:19 -0400
Sender:
From:
Heekyoung Jung <[log in to unmask]>
Workshop on Aesthetic Data Visualization: Tools & Challenges for
Interaction Designers at NordiCHI 2012
October 14th, 2012, Copenhagen, Denmark

http://datavis.hkjung.com

Early registration deadline: September 15th, 2012 at
http://www.regonline.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=1101990
Also please see the registration information at the NordiCHi 2012
website: http://www.nordichi2012.org/#attending

Our workshop is open to everyone who is interested in data visualization.
We’ll have three presentations on real-world design case studies of
data visualization. We also include open discussion sessions and
engaging hands-on activities (sketching and programming visualization
project using Processing and d3.js) that everyone can participate.
Please join the workshop although you have not submitted paper.

<Programs>
Now available at http://datavis.hkjung.com/schedule.html
09:00 – 09:10    Welcome
09:10 – 09:40    Introduction: Challenges of data visualization for
interaction designers / Heekyoung Jung & Tanyoung Kim
09:50 – 10:30    Presentation 1: Visual Representations For Internet
Banking Users / Marco Carnesecchi & Antonio Rizzo
10:40 – 11:20    Presentation 2: Teaching Visualization to design
students / Heekyoung Jung & Tanyoung Kim
11:30 – 12:10    Presentation 3: Creating Knowledge From Personal
LifeLogs Through Data Visualization / Yang Yang & Cathal Gurrin
12:10 – 13:30    Lunch Break
13:30 – 14:10    Presentation 4: Visualization with Processing /
Heekyoung Jung & Tanyoung Kim
14:20 – 15:00    Presentation 5: Programming Methods and Classes for
InfoVis Graphic Design Layouts / Luis Carli & Carlos Zibel Costa
15:10 – 15:50    Discussion
16:00 – 17:30    Hands-on activities of data visualization (low and
high fidelity sketches by using d3)
17:30 – 18:00    Final discussion

<About the workshop>
Data visualization has been a big interest among interaction designers
thanks to the advances of visualization authoring tools. With the
tools including programming languages, visualization generation
websites, and open source libraries, interaction designers can easily
create data visualization harnessing their prototyping skills and
aesthetic sensibility. However, there still exist some technical and
methodological challenges for interaction designers in jumping into
the scene.
At the workshop, we will discuss new roles of designers in this
interdisciplinary field, and the ways of using and enhancing
visualization tools to support designers. We encourage experts in the
intersection of data visualization and interaction design to share
their experiences in designing interactive visualizations in both
industry and academic contexts.

--
Heekyoung Jung & Tanyoung Kim,

Assistant Professor in Graphic Communication Design Program
School of Design | College of DAAP | University of Cincinnati