Sender:
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2014 19:12:24 -0800
From:
Austin Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
This is a reminder that position papers for the UCM workshop (see below and at http://www.rivcons.com/Framing-Users-Conceptual-Models.html) are due by next Friday, Jan 17.

We hope you can make it.

Austin and Jeff

============

Call for participation: Workshop: Framing Users’ Conceptual Models

At CHI 2014, Toronto, Canada: Saturday, April 26th 2014
Website: http://www.rivcons.com/Framing-Users-Conceptual-Models.html

In our work as designers, both of the authors have found that it is valuable to focus effort on designing the “users’ conceptual model” (UCM) that we intend the users to have of the “machine” (application, website, etc.) before considering how to present that model to the user.  A simple UCM will be easier to present, while a complex one will be harder, no matter how good our presentation.

However, in our continued engagement with the notion of UCMs, we have also found developing UCMs to be more complex than originally thought. For example:

* How does UCM interact with models for presentation, implementation, and learning?

* Should we model object variations as attribute values or subtypes?

* Going Meta: How should we model activity?

* How should we modeling for inter-application coherence and interoperability

* How should we modeling evolving applications

* How does the task domain shape the model?

* How should UCM’s be documented?

* How does Conceptual Modeling fit into development processes (e.g. agile, participatory design)?

This one-day 20-person workshop will aggregate, understand and map the issues concerning UCMs. Potential participants are invited to submit position papers that identify one or more issues associated with UCMs. Include examples, preferably from real design work. Participants will be accepted for participation on the basis of experience in using UCMs and engagement with significant UCM issues.

Note that at least one author of each accepted paper needs to register for the workshop and for one or more days of the conference itself. Submission will be regarded as commitment to attend if accepted.

Schedule:
* By January 17, 2014: Please submit brief position papers (up to 2 pages, pdf format) as attachment to e-mail to [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]
* By February 10, 2014: We will announce acceptance (reply to the address of the submission).
* On April 26, 2014: The Workshop