Sender:
From:
"Gill, Kathy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 15:10:05 -0700
Hi, Johan,

As we discussed offlist -- ultimately the heart readability issue [font
size/face/colors] should be left in the hands of the end-user, IMO.

That is, the designer should design to accomodate reading needs/physical
constraints of the person visiting the site -- the permutations aren't
endless, but there are quite a few combos [relative to screen rez, Macs v.
PCs, 'computer' fonts versus 'print' fonts, fonts spec'ed that aren't on the
end user machine, oh yes age of the user, yadda yadda]. Then there's WebTV,
PalmPilots and now <horrors> a web reader for a Motorola phone.

Classic readability research looks at font type, size, line length and
leading - as well as sometimes "negative/positive" [ie, traditional
black-on-white or white-on-black] or other color/contrast combos.

Given that on the web ALL of these are variable -- in that the site visitor
has ultimate control over browser preferences -- perhaps our designs should
focus on accommodation. The output device is just too variable. IMO.

That said, designers can certainly negatively affect readability by spec'ing
absolute font sizes and really LONG line lengths (via the use of tables).

And I repeat myself, for the benefit of the list:
<rant>
Font size =1 on a Macintosh at 1024 rez is NOT readable to my over age 40
eyes. Especially when the font spec'd isn't on my system (often the case
with sites created with windows gui-type html editors).
</rant>

Kathy

Kathy E. Gill
AT&T Wireless, NBO Deployment
Redmond Town Center, Bldg 4, 3155B
425.580.6459
mailto:[log in to unmask]

You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of
conversation.  -- Plato