Sender:
From:
Mar Orlygsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 22:02:57 -0000
Hi All.

I'm currently working on a web site where we need the users to
describe were in the States/World they spend most of their time.
Where they live, in which areas they mainly travel and which
cities they visit most - if any.

We'd like the user to be able to communicate the equivalence of:
"I live in New York City, spend considerable time in LA, travel
around New York State and Florida, and spend holidays in Europe."
Preferably we'd like him to be able to do this in only one or
two steps.

We have considered various options involving clicking on maps,
and multiple-step questionaire (Wizard), and we tend to like
the wizard idea best.

However, there's one idea of having the user type in a list of
geographic names. (Zip-codes, names of metropolitan areas,
counties, states, countries, contients, etc.) Whatever he feels
to be appropriate. Any combination, and any number of names (upto
a limit of N?).
Server-based software would then split up the list, match the
names to a geographical database, and have the user confirm his
choices and define further any ambiguous entries.
(I fear that this may be too error-prone to work well.(?))

Before we dive into user-testing, I was wondering if anyone here
had any information that could either support this idea, or tear
it down altogether?

Also does anyone here have experience in dealing with similar
problems of this level of complexity?  Advice? - Pointers? - Ideas?
- Whatever?

Respectfully,

Mar Orlygsson
designer & bastard know-it-all