Sender:
From:
Michael Chui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 13:58:14 -0500
[log in to unmask] writes:
>Instead of buying software applications packages and installing them
>on your PC, you will frequently be renting or leasing applications from ASPs
>(Application Service Providers?), which will run on a server somewhere and
>ship lots of bytes back and forth over the internet connection to your PC.
>
>Is anybody intimate with this technology direction? Can you comment on why
>business and individuals would want to use applications running on a distant
>server rather than installing them locally? Is it only certian application
>types that will be suitable for this model? I don't like the thought of not
>being able to run my word processor just because my internet connection is
>down.

        The basic application service provider value proposition is
that at some point, the costs of running and maintaining applications
as a centrally managed service are lower than the costs of running and
maintaining these applications locally.  (Note that depending upon the
application and protocols, it's not necessarily the case that you'll
need to ship "lots" of data back and forth.)  I suspect that in many
cases, the downtime on poorly managed local computers already exceeds
that of the downtime of the Internet service through which such a
local computer would connect.
        As you suggest, it's not clear that providing word processing
service has yet reached the tradeoff threshold, but for people using
Web-based e-mail services (instead of locally-installed e-mail
clients), that point has already been reached.

Michael Chui