Sender:
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 10:54:57 -0500
7bit
From:
Emilee Patrick <[log in to unmask]>
> From:    Bill Dehora <[log in to unmask]>
> The important question is not what will happen to ATM's, but what will
> become of cash in the next decade. If you can invalidate cash then you can
> invalidate ATM's.

> From:    clorisval pereira jr <[log in to unmask]>
> Do you think an ATM could be helpful as a 'street' terminal
> for people who could not afford a computer/device with
> a connection?

I can't wait for the day when I no longer have to plug quarters into the
washer and dryer!! Even if physical currency disappears, people will still
have the need to manage their finances. An ATM could truly be an Automatic
Teller Machine in the future, providing access to a variety of account
management functions instead of withdrawals and deposits.

What if it was possible to apply for a loan, schedule automatic bill
payment, open and close accounts, manage a stock portfolio, buy a money
order, balance your checkbook... Of course, greater security would be
required than a simple PIN number.

Emilee Patrick
User Centered Research, Motorola Labs