Sender: "ACM SIGCHI WWW Human Factors (Open Discussion)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Kayla Block <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 14:25:50 -0700

> My starting points:
>
> 1. prefer for URLs to be
> --short, or not too long
> --memorable
> --reasonably easy to spell and type
> --"hackable" (final directory name can be hacked off and it leaves a
> real URL behind)
> --indicative of context (to an extent)

Do the urls need to be communicated by telephone? If yes, numbers get
garbled less often than letters. If you must use letters, spell out the word
entirely if phone communication of urls is likely.

> 3. I'm unsure about the level to which a URL should reflect the
> information architecture / primary site hierarchy

If the information hierarchy can reflect user's ways of categorizing
information, that's not bad. If they need to reflect internal organization
structure that might not map to user's mental model, that might not be
helpful.

> 4. Our server administrator seems to prefer
> "keck.research.mckenna.edu"
> over "www.mckenna.edu/keck" [in this example, we're defining the home
> directory for the Keck research institute at our college].  I

I would highly recommend against the keck.research.mckenna.edu but I suppose
it depends on who your users are. Even frequent web users can become
confused over urls that don't start with a www. At a previous company, we
saw this time and again during usability testing.

> 5.  I'm inclined to set up each major content area with its URL as
> "www.mckenna.edu/xxxx" where xxxx is a recognizable version of the
> content area's name.  E.g., "www.mckenna.edu/registrar" and
> "www.mckenna.edu/admission" and "www.mckenna.edu/economics" etc.

This seems sensible to me. Though I could see economics being more like
www.mckenna.edu/depts/economics, etc.

Kayla

Kayla Block
E-Stamp.com
Manager, Documentation and User Interface

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
there." -- Will Rogers