From:
Jose Arcellana <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jose Arcellana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 16:16:34 -0800
In general, I think having a "selection model" -- a way to indicate what you
want acted upon with a command -- is a good thing, and the lack of one on
many web sites derives more from the difficulties of implementing an
efficient selection mechanism (that is, one that doesn't require having to
load another page) than any inherent advantage in not having a selection
model. If the web could have its druthers, I'm pretty sure it'd be emulating
more the selection model used on personal-computer operating systems --
which is basically we websters try to do with DHTML, Javascript, image
swapping, and so on.

Another thing to consider (in addition to the number of possible actions on
a selection) is the number of items in the universe of possible selections.
The more you have, the more times you'll have to make the button(s)
available. Having more than three or four of either gets old pretty quickly.

One implementation of a selection model on the web that sorta kinda works
for me is the column of checkboxes next to a list of selectable items. You
click the checkbox, then you click a button either above or below the list.
It's filling in a form to select an object and choose a command. Not great,
but you were expecting contextual menus?